Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - SSK solid bush/bearing

alex yates said:
Phil 997 said:
:worship: :worship: thanks mate :thumb:

I'll be in touch this week.

:thumb:

Perfect mate thanks, dont forget I am off to Dinslaken on Sunday and back Wed :thumb: :thumb:

Rub it in why don't you! :nooo: :grin: :thumb:

alex yates said:
Why don't they just use rubber like on motor bikes and cars? Surely that'd give the best ride :dont know:

Problem with ball bearings in a static position with a load on them creates pitting in the bearing race (seen in the photo below) and thus creates stiction........and ultimately failure. As for the mega poor quality bearings I see fit on these bikes - no comment.

Rubber would act as a spring and allow movement in undesired directions. On a car / motorcycle you can afford to waste a bit of power in movement, but on a bike every KW counts, and no-one wants to feel their bike bobbing and flopping around. The same reason race cars get rose jointed and people fit polybushes - make the damper/spring do the work, not the pivots.

The bearings are so cheap and easy to replace that you end up just fitting new bearings frequently to keep the performance. There isn't a perfect solution out there. Oh and they have to be CHEAP, have you seen the markup on mountain bikes?

I used to do the bikes for them and charged £60 a pop but it wasn't worth my while with all the messing about stripping the bike, swapping the seized bearings and taking care not to damage the frames. Surely there must be something more appropriate like solid oilite bearings?

£60+cost of bearings shoved it up around £80. Hardly cheap if it doesn't last 2 minutes.

I have the same SSK kit in my 997 and it has too much play for my liking, (think I bought it from ebay). However I'm really impressed with your upgrade Alex. :worship:

Please put me down for one of yours when start making more :thumb:

Add me down as interested as the shift on my 4S isn't what I expected :)

Thanks

alex yates said:
Hardly cheap if it doesn't last 2 minutes.

Half the fun of mtbing is cleaning and fixing your bike. I don't know anyone who pays for this work, all my mates do it themselves. £20 to end up with like new suspension when the bike is apart anyway is good value. They do usually last at least a year or so depending on use.

Anyway that is off topic....

Anyone wanting a mod'd SSK off me ping me a message.

mines on its way :clap: :dancetwist: :Dance-Tap: :disco: thanks Alex . Cant wait to get it fitted :grin: now how do I manipulate my tech to do it before Germany on Sunday :grin: :thumb:

Tell him the lad who did it is sponsored by Steve Wright and if he gets it done before Steve Wright's serious moddin' on Friday avo, he'll get a shout out on Radio 2 :grin:

If he agrees, let me know and I'll have a word with Mr W. :grin:

alex yates said:
Tell him the lad who did it is sponsored by Steve Wright and if he gets it done before Steve Wright's serious moddin' on Friday avo, he'll get a shout out on Radio 2 :grin:

If he agrees, let me know and I'll have a word with Mr W. :grin:

:grin: :grin: I will try that mate :thumb:

AMAZING!!!

I'm next in queue please.

By the way I have watch all your videos, PSM test :thumb:

Where I fall on my ass! :grin:

MisterCorn said:
Are you going to look at doing anything for the plastic piece which translates the left-right movement of the lever in to forwards-backwards movement on the cable? This always appears to have plenty of slop in it.

I'd be interested in on of these too if you are able to improve on the standard part.

Next mission :salut:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back