Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fluid Leak on Garage Floor - Ideas?

M2SHD

Hello, I'm looking for some help to identify a leak that has appeared from somewhere under the engine bay on my garage floor. I noticed these yellow splashes last weekend - see image 1. In the second image I've indicated where they appear under the car (see green highlighted area next to the key and fob) - this is taken from the rear of the vehicle (crude but effective I hope :) ).

The car is still under warranty and I'll be contacting Porsche but I'd like to know what all the forum experts think.

(please note all other stains on garage floor are from various cars from the past - including the Fiat 500 before it was eventually restored by Ant Anstead on Channel 4's For The Love of Cars but that's another story!)

Thanks!

Attachments

• leak_floor2_li_480.jpg
    leak_floor2_li_480.jpg
    1,023.5 KB · Views: 4,616
  • leak_floor1_902.jpg
    leak_floor1_902.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 4,616
As it`s green I`d tend to say Pentosin power steering fluid, but if I`m looking at the picture correctly, the leak is on the wrong side of the engine :dont know:

What colour is your engine coolant, should be pinky orange in the expansion tank :thumb:

Looks like refrigerant to me.

Check your a/c is working :thumb:

Coolant from expansion tank. Looks pink in the bottle but green on the floor. Try getting some coolant out the tank and put it on the floor. See if they're the same. If they look the same, lick them and see if taste is same..........then get a new expansion tank to replace your cracked one :grin:

Wow you guys are good. And fast :worship:

Just took this photo of the expansion tank - colour is pink and it does seem to be directly above the splashes. I'll take a closer look on Saturday when I'm not at work and report it back to Porsche. I would like to think this is covered (bought the car from Porsche Edinburgh August 2017).

Attachments

• expansion_tank_117.jpg
    expansion_tank_117.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4,559
Alfaian said:
Looks like refrigerant to me.

Check your a/c is working :thumb:

Just gave it a little run and the A/C is blowing nice and cold.

Would that "leak " be under part of the exhaust by any chance ?

Im guessing it is as that looks like the water that drips out of an exhaust system and more so when cold .

A by product of an exhaust cat is water .. when hot you tend to get steam but when cold water will often drip out of any joint / clamp it can .

A second by product of a cat is sulpher .. you get more of this when the car is cold as it runs rich ... ever followed a car and had a rotten egg smell .. running too rich and the cat is working over time .

Sulpher is yellow ... there fore .. yellow water .. simples !

Thats my guess anyways :D

And you also have split seams on your silencers .

Going to have to dissaprove of any " taiste " it comments .. sorry i dont tend to do this .. but .. erm .. no , dont taiste any fluid you find :hand:

deMort said:
Would that "leak " be under part of the exhaust by any chance ?

Im guessing it is as that looks like the water that drips out of an exhaust system and more so when cold .

A by product of an exhaust cat is water .. when hot you tend to get steam but when cold water will often drip out of any joint / clamp it can .

A second by product of a cat is sulpher .. you get more of this when the car is cold as it runs rich ... ever followed a car and had a rotten egg smell .. running too rich and the cat is working over time .

Sulpher is yellow ... there fore .. yellow water .. simples !

Thats my guess anyways :D

And you also have split seams on your silencers .

Going to have to dissaprove of any " taiste " it comments .. sorry i dont tend to do this .. but .. erm .. no , dont taiste any fluid you find :hand:

Thanks for the advice, deMort. I plan on taking it back to the dealer on Saturday. Not sure if the silencers (exhaust system) would be covered under warranty, I'd need to check the small print.

The interesting bit .. is how .. without any pictures of your exhaust i feel the n/s/r silencer is split at the seams :D

Downside .. no exhaust will be covered by warrenty .

Plus side .. get it checked but i think they will come back and say no fault found for the leak as its normal .. show them your picture though .

If not ive just dug myself a big hole and am totally wrong lol .

deMort said:
The interesting bit .. is how .. without any pictures of your exhaust i feel the n/s/r silencer is split at the seams :D

Downside .. no exhaust will be covered by warrenty .

Plus side .. get it checked but i think they will come back and say no fault found for the leak as its normal .. show them your picture though .

If not ive just dug myself a big hole and am totally wrong lol .

Ah, so I did think carefully about the split seams statement with no photographic evidence but put it down to your superior knowledge of the marque :)

Agreed, I wouldn't expect the exhaust to be covered under warranty so if that's the problem area, guess I'll be getting that new full sports exhaust system sooner than planned :D

I may well be totally wrong , i cant see the car after all .. but the image of where the leak was in relation to the wheels points the the n/s/r silencer and for that to leak there must be a split seam somewere to allow the water to run out .

Normally its at the clamps .

Get it checked and if im wrong ill stick a few bob in a charity as penance for my failure :D

deMort said:
I may well be totally wrong , i cant see the car after all .. but the image of where the leak was in relation to the wheels points the the n/s/r silencer and for that to leak there must be a split seam somewere to allow the water to run out .

Normally its at the clamps .

Get it checked and if im wrong ill stick a few bob in a charity as penance for my failure :D
I suspect you are spot on!... as usual :worship: :thumbs:

Ive had these little leaks on my garage floor once before,did all the usual coolant checks and forum searches with no real answers.
I decided to give the underside of the engine a quick blast with a pressure washer so hopefully it would be easier to spot where the leak was coming from when it had dried.
I was surprised to see that pretty much all the water on the exhaust turned that colour so I just put it down to some kind of chemical reaction or maybe left over chemicals if the exhaust had a leak that might have been fixed before Id bought it.

Haven't seen them since and that was a few years ago.

Its condendsation reacting with exhaust clamps / bolts...

I have seen it on a number of garage floors including my own always a sort of Mountain Dew /pi55 colour :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back