Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Is the Aston Martin Vantage becoming a serious bargain?

Zingari said:
mark pearce said:
Take a look at the closing scenes of Kelly's Heroes

My guess is Oddball drives a 993 :thumb:
What's the job with the lowest life expectancy in the world?

Jewish service manager at a Land Rover Dealership in Afghanistan
Why?

Ever noticed that the mujahadeen are always filmed with 12 guys with AK 47's in the back of a Toyota hi lux or Land cruiser,

Imagine the scene when they turn up at a Land Rover dealership, complaining that the Discovery broke down last night on the way home

I absolutely love the Vanquish and if the reliability wasn't such an issue I may be convinced to get one... A great weekend car I'm sure but not for me, yet.

I am seriously considering a V8 vantage but it would mean selling the 996 and 914!
It's an itch I need to scratch,I think.... :?:

Get it done Ady. You can't lose.

From what I hear, the 2008+ cars are more reliable. I keep looking at the 4.7 versions on Autotrader.

Les is doing OK with his AM :thumb: Well it's not blown up yet, his luck seems to have changed :what:

easternjets said:
They are cheap/good value but every single person I've spoken to that's owned one said that they would never buy another one, reliability, deprecation and build quality being their main bug bears.
Saying that they probably forked out over a £100k for their cars so having it break down or fall to bits probably would have tainted their opinion!
They do look the 'dogs' though, can't deny that.

Alright Nick!

Yep, my mate from your town bought a beautiful black DB9 cab when they first came out. I think it was 118k after spec and boy was it a perpetual headache for him. Spent most of it's life getting fixed at JCT600. And the bath he took when he flogged it on left him with his head in his hands....

But as you say, they look and sound the dogs...

easternjets said:
They are cheap/good value but every single person I've spoken to that's owned one said that they would never buy another one, reliability, deprecation and build quality being their main bug bears.
Saying that they probably forked out over a £100k for their cars so having it break down or fall to bits probably would have tainted their opinion!
They do look the 'dogs' though, can't deny that.

Alright Nick!

Yep, my mate from your town bought a beautiful black DB9 cab when they first came out. I think it was 118k after spec and boy was it a perpetual headache for him. Spent most of it's life getting fixed at JCT600. And the bath he took when he flogged it on left him with his head in his hands....

But as you say, they look and sound the dogs...

Zingari said:
Les is doing OK with his AM :thumb: Well it's not blown up yet, his luck seems to have changed :what:

I've done a few thousand miles in it and so far it's been superb.

The reliability issues people talk about are mainly 2005 and early 2006 models, and even then they are cheaper than the typical Porsche big bill issues.
Most of the 'I know a chap who had one' stories of poor reliability come from people who brought the early cars.

Get a 2007 car and your ok. Most independent garages rate the V12 for 'well over 250K without issue'.

If you go on the Aston forums there's a lot of ex Porsche owners who would never go back to one.

Still not use to people taking photos all the time and videoing me whilst driving it. It makes me paranoid to pick my nose to incase its caught on camera lol.

feynlab.jpg

Les I think you are right its the early ones that have the major gremlins , probably pretty much the same with any high end marque , I certainly have been told the same about the continental gt , and funnily enough about the 997 :floor: :floor: It also probably has something to do with things like the type of guy that spends £120/140k on a new or nearly car takes 3 to 5k bills on the chin, whereas move that car on a few years and its now £20/25k the car still comes with the same bills but the type of owner who spends £20/25k on a car is less enthusiastic about getting those bills so the car starts to get a bad rep. :thumb:

...<the crowd sits back in eager anticipation of Phil's first experience of owning a Bentley and the impact on his wallet....>

mikeluke said:
...<the crowd sits back in eager anticipation of Phil's first experience of owning a Bentley and the impact on his wallet....>

Mike, you will be pleased to kmow through careful driving and lightness of foot and avoiding the sport button, I have moved my ave MPG from to initial ave 11mpg to a lofty and quite acceptable ave 11.6mpg :floor: :floor: :floor:

Seriously????

I was thinking that you'd get at least 20 mpg out of it....

Mind you - I remember going from my Subaru Impreza Turbo to a BMW 540i, complete with 4.4 litre V8 and actually improving my fuel economy!

So, the engine is more than twice the capacity, with twice the number of cylinders and yet it is more economical......

:?:

mikeluke said:
Seriously????

I was thinking that you'd get at least 20 mpg out of it....

Mind you - I remember going from my Subaru Impreza Turbo to a BMW 540i, complete with 4.4 litre V8 and actually improving my fuel economy!

So, the engine is more than twice the capacity, with twice the number of cylinders and yet it is more economical......

:?:

:grin: in all seriousness I think when I put some motorway etc miles on it the combined will be more like 18mpg :thumb:

Good luck with that Phil :grin:

About 4 years ago I was parked up next to a modern Conti GT Convertible and an ancient 1930s Bentley. I asked about mpg. The older car never got better than 12 and the owner of the new car said he realistically achieved 12mpg as well. Naturally, being a Porsche, my turbo bettered these leviathans at around 12.5*.

:thumbs:

(* on a long run I get high teens, and have had low twenties when said long runs have included extended sub50mph sections on motorways...)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back