Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steve Wright's Serious Moddin' - SSK solid bush/bearing

Will look in to it. As yet any current solutions I've seen don't look too clever. I'll come up with a really cheap natural solution that pisses on their parade.

Nice work Alex :thumb:

I'm impressed. Great bit of engineering.

Nice job Alex.

Id be up for one of these once you are out of the pub and back at the lathe! :thumb:

Epic fail as usual. Wrong bearing for this application. Roller bearings are designed for spinning at high rpms without creating friction, not for rotating about 10 degrees everytime it moves. I have a mountain bike shop next to me and the guys there spend all their days pressing new ball bearings in bike frames (on the suspension parts). It's quite obvious the races are just gonna shatter with the load that's put on them when some 40 year old bloke's flying down a bumpy hillside on his push iron. :nooo:

There's a few things in life bloke's get a hard on over, even though they're not sure why and most of the time used in the wrong application:

CNC machined
Titanium
Roller Bearings

I could name many more but my tea's ready :wink:

Alex when are you going to start a thread or add it on this one to start getting a list of names interested in your AYE SSK :grin: :thumb: :thumb: if I am away at Dinslaken when you start the list put my name down mate :thumb:

when I meet up with Osh in Germany I plan to fiddle with his knob to feel the difference after the AY treatment :grin: :thumb:

I've already sorted Locosaki with the one wasz sent me and I had 2 brand new one's delivered today for me to fiddle with. I'm 1/3 of the way through doing them and you're top of the list mate :thumb:

Hopefully that's all I need to say :wink:

alex yates said:
I've already sorted Locosaki with the one wasz sent me and I had 2 brand new one's delivered today for me to fiddle with. I'm 1/3 of the way through doing them and you're top of the list mate :thumb:

Hopefully that's all I need to say :wink:

:worship: :worship: thanks mate :thumb:

alex yates said:
Epic fail as usual. Wrong bearing for this application. Roller bearings are designed for spinning at high rpms without creating friction, not for rotating about 10 degrees everytime it moves. I have a mountain bike shop next to me and the guys there spend all their days pressing new ball bearings in bike frames (on the suspension parts). It's quite obvious the races are just gonna shatter with the load that's put on them when some 40 year old bloke's flying down a bumpy hillside on his push iron. :nooo:

There's a few things in life bloke's get a hard on over, even though they're not sure why and most of the time used in the wrong application:

CNC machined
Titanium
Roller Bearings

I could name many more but my tea's ready :wink:

The mountain bike bearings is an interesting one.

They fit ball bearings to remove any stiction in the movement of the suspension. This gives the best ride out of the box, and in the shop floor bounce test, but of course they wear out quick and rust up. This means they can sell you another one in a couple of years.

My Turner mountain bike has journal bearings with a grease gun fitting. This feels less smooth on a carpark bounce but of course lasts much longer and is much better engineered.

Big thanks to Alex, I recieved mine today and looking forward to installing.

Wasz, thanks for your part as well mate, much appreciated.

wasz said:
The mountain bike bearings is an interesting one.

They fit ball bearings to remove any stiction in the movement of the suspension. This gives the best ride out of the box, and in the shop floor bounce test, but of course they wear out quick and rust up. This means they can sell you another one in a couple of years.

Why don't they just use rubber like on motor bikes and cars? Surely that'd give the best ride :dont know:

Problem with ball bearings in a static position with a load on them creates pitting in the bearing race (seen in the photo below) and thus creates stiction........and ultimately failure. As for the mega poor quality bearings I see fit on these bikes - no comment.

photo_02.jpg

Phil 997 said:
:worship: :worship: thanks mate :thumb:

I'll be in touch this week.

:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back