Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Pads With Sensors?

REKX

Hi Guys,

A message came up something about brake pads on the screen.

2007 Carrera Tip

https://www.eurocarparts.com/brake-pads

Could you tell me which ones to buy please? I think I'm correct in saying my ones do have sensors as the message came up?

And how much would you estimate the labour cost to be?

Thank you.

There is more than one choice of part for your vehicle. Please select the correct 'Brake Pads' by checking the 'Fitment Detail' tab. Refine filter0
Pagid Brake Pad (For Cars With Pin Type Wear Sensors) (Rear)Product Code: 101330178 Click to EnlargePagid Brake Pad (For Cars With Pin Type Wear Sensors) (Rear)In StockFREE delivery available*Next day delivery available (Order before 4pm Mon-Thur)£48.99
was £64.87*SAVE 24%
Home DeliveryOrder by 4pm for Next Day DeliveryClick & Collect
Check stock in other stores International Delivery
AvailableFitment DetailFitment DetailAdd to BasketView Detail
SELECT YOUR PREFERRED BRAND. CHECK STOCK AVAILABILITY£48.99Pagid£50.99Brembo£59.99Textar
ATE Brake Pad (For Cars Using Horseshoe Type Wear Sensors) (Front)Product Code: 101330365 Click to EnlargeATE Brake Pad (For Cars Using Horseshoe Type Wear Sensors) (Front)In StockFREE delivery available*Next day delivery available (Order before 4pm Mon-Thur)£106.99
was £149.33*SAVE 28%
AvailableFitment DetailFitment DetailAdd to BasketView Detail
SELECT YOUR PREFERRED BRAND. CHECK STOCK AVAILABILITY£106.99ATE£111.99Brembo£120.99Textar£120.99Pagid
Eicher Premium Brake Pad (Front Axle)Product Code: 101590159 Click to EnlargeEicher Premium Brake Pad (Front Axle)In StockFREE delivery available*Next day delivery available (Order before 4pm Mon-Thur)£23.49
was £28.08*SAVE 16%
Available (Exclusions apply) Fitment DetailFitment DetailAdd to BasketView Detail
SELECT YOUR PREFERRED BRAND. CHECK STOCK AVAILABILITY£23.49Eicher Premium£34.49Pagid£41.49Brembo
Eicher Premium Brake Pad (Rear Axle)Product Code: 101680019 Click to EnlargeEicher Premium Brake Pad (Rear Axle)In StockFREE delivery available*Next day delivery available (Order before 4pm Mon-Thur)£26.99

When there was a deal on, which there is every other day at ECP, I bought the Pagid pads and sensors. TBH as long as you get a branded OEM product you should be okay.
To fit them, on my car at least, was very straight forward. If it went into a garage I would estimate no more than an hour for pads and an extra half hour if you changed the discs as well.
Don't panic about not using the car as the sensor indicates that they need changing so you'll have a few hundred miles of driving before the pad material is worn away.
Try Autodoc as well but just make sure you pay the extra £5 for their Insurance, it's invaluable if things go wrong. Their prices are very good.

easternjets said:
When there was a deal on, which there is every other day at ECP, I bought the Pagid pads and sensors. TBH as long as you get a branded OEM product you should be okay.
To fit them, on my car at least, was very straight forward. If it went into a garage I would estimate no more than an hour for pads and an extra half hour if you changed the discs as well.
Don't panic about not using the car as the sensor indicates that they need changing so you'll have a few hundred miles of driving before the pad material is worn away.
Try Autodoc as well but just make sure you pay the extra £5 for their Insurance, it's invaluable if things go wrong. Their prices are very good.

Cheers mate.

How do I know which is it, front or rear? Is it easy to tell by looking at it?

You should be able to tell by looking at the pads in the callipers.

Last time I paid to have it done it was 50 mins labour for the rear pads.

Carparts4less have a 14% sale this weekend- just copy the ECP part no over to the search box.

I think it could be the " do I have horseshoe shaped sensors or not " is the confusing part - It confuses me.

Does it not depend on the pads?

I'm pretty sure that the sensors are the same, the easiest thing to do is check by the sensor part number, they're not expensive but you'll have to change them.
Chances are it will be the front's that have gone, if you can take a wheel off and that will give you easy access to the caliper you will see if the friction material is well worn or not.
Any competent garage will be able to fit them for you, to give you an idea my CR-V was more difficult to work on than my 911! There is literally two 10mm allen bolts that hold the calipers on to the hub, once they're out the pads just push out of the caliper.

Jam911 said:
I think it could be the " do I have horseshoe shaped sensors or not " is the confusing part - It confuses me.

I went through this fiasco when I last changed my disks and pads all round. Depending on which pads you select, the sensor MAY be different, either a so-called horseshoe or a slimmer straight-sided sensor. I'm afraid if you want to be sure you get the right pads and sensors, your best bet is simply check out the current units fitted. Some pads also differ in that they have round anti-squeal weights protruding out of the caliper and while it's probably not crucial, I stuck with the same type when replacing mine.

But assuming you are changing the sensors as well as the pads (and chances are if the sensor has triggered the light it will likely need replacing) then as long as you get the right sensor pad combo then it should be ok?

For what its worth, this video I watched of a 997 pad change in advance of doing my pad change on my 996 4S showed the pin type sensor (which my 996 also has)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsLZFxO5c2M

Yes guys, I think Euro Car Parts gave a few options.

I think I'll buy them four and tell the garage to replace the ones that need replacing and I'll return the rest.

Yes my light did come on with a message, but the light and message have gone now.

So will I also need a new sensor? mentioned earlier I'm good for a few hundred miles?

Pad swap is so easy on these cars, take the R clip out, knock the pin out with a punch remove pads, push back the pistons, re-assemble. About 10 minutes tops once its jacked up and the wheel is off .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back