Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

911tom's 3.8l engine build

911tom said:
Shame work gets in the way though.

Me and Gazza can run it in for you :dont know:

I will even follow him in the Atom just to make sure he doesn't go too fast :cop:

:grin:

If I can borrow your shiny beast? Yeah I thought not Jin!

You need to get PPF on your car mate or you'll be too scared to drive it.

911tom said:
If I can borrow your shiny beast? Yeah I thought not Jin!

You need to get PPF on your car mate or you'll be too scared to drive it.

I am looking into it but need to save up, or sell something :sad: like the kids :D

I decided I am not gonna turn her into a garage queen, I will use and abuse her and not care about future values...

Life is too short :thumb:

Well said. Cars are for driving and not looking at. I am on my second front bumper spray. It just gets hammered at speed. I even have bird poo stains ffs

FRP said:
Well said. Cars are for driving and not looking at. I am on my second front bumper spray. It just gets hammered at speed. I even have bird poo stains ffs

:worship:

The kids were playing in the car last night...at first I said "Don't touch this, don't stand on that..." but then I thought "It's only a bl00dy car!!!"

I will just buy a new part if they break something, or paint it again if they scratch it, there are a lot more things in life to be worried about and if your car is the only worry that you have then you are a very privileged person in my eyes... :judge:

Back on topic...

It wasn't a no from Tom was it :dont know:

I will get my helmet :grin:

911tom said:
I should hopefully be picking up my car later today from Fearnsport after having a custom Fearnsport built intake and methanol kit. The pipework and methanol tank has been designed by Matt himself and in true Fearnsport style is an absolute work of art!

40801812554_8e4adb19da_k.jpg

41514624051_29bdfb6add_k.jpg

40801799634_b05812ad88_k.jpg

40801803274_b2350ef590_k.jpg

40801806254_972836aa69_k.jpg

40801810294_292ba6ef37_k.jpg

41514620981_d7076283bc_k.jpg

Where is the air box, are you running fender well intakes?

Intakes something like this??

Attachments

• screenshot_20210120_232837_213.png
    screenshot_20210120_232837_213.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,339
Just read this build from start to finish. Superb read and confidence inspiring.

Do you still own, use the car? What are your impressions after so much more time with it? Any videos? I'd love to hear the sound with a more open induction side. I absolutely love what you've done with the switchable maps without adding switches! Very cool 8)

I was wondering how you put more power down and with only RWD!? Mine (with barely more than a remap) overcomes grip in the first two gears and really feels like it hassles the 4WD system in 3rd. Even 4th can get bursts of wheelspin around 4000rpm in the wet or cold weather. I guess it's a case of mapping it right, knocking out the torque spikes, slowing the onset. Plus perhaps not a whole lot more torque at 4500rpm, just keeps pulling harder for longer?

I would enjoy a slightly different shaped power curve, so you feel inspired to wring out those last 500rpm.

Also, how are you measuring airflow for the standard ECU without the MAF sensor? Can the signal be bodged to read a MAP sensor?

it's Jerk that causes wheel spin - where Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. If you can keep a smooth torque delivery from relatively low revs - even if it rises and falls with revs - it rarely is enough to break grip especially as under acceleration the weight transfer loads up the rear tyres - except with a powerful 4 wheel drive it can negate that by lightening the front grip.

bazhart said:
it's Jerk that causes wheel spin - where Jerk is the rate of change of acceleration. If you can keep a smooth torque delivery from relatively low revs - even if it rises and falls with revs - it rarely is enough to break grip especially as under acceleration the weight transfer loads up the rear tyres - except with a powerful 4 wheel drive it can negate that by lightening the front grip.

I imagine that must be quite hard to map out? Pressurising the new actuators when I set them up manually I noticed they seemed to mechanically respond relatively slowly. The onset of boost with the standard X50 turbos is a sharp ramp, it must climb 200 lb/ft in 200rpm.

Hmmm, could be a lack of weight transfer limiting grip, if its just my car suffering? The back of my car is higher than the front. I suspect previous owner may have added rake to try and sharpen the turn in (it hasn't worked), add to that the extremely stiff springs that come on the Ohlins and the stiff engine mounts. It probably receives significantly less benefit from the weight transfer vs standard.

bazhart said:

I imagine that must be quite hard to map out? Pressurising the new actuators when I set them up manually I noticed they seemed to mechanically respond relatively slowly. The onset of boost with the standard X50 turbos is a sharp ramp, it must climb 200 lb/ft in 200rpm.

Hmmm, could be a lack of weight transfer limiting grip, if its just my car suffering? The back of my car is higher than the front. I suspect previous owner may have added rake to try and sharpen the turn in (it hasn't worked), add to that the extremely stiff springs that come on the Ohlins and the stiff engine mounts. It probably receives significantly less benefit from the weight transfer vs standard.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cooper9000
Back