Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coolant change help please

maldren

Albert Park
I'm fitting an LTT and decided to change the coolant at the same time.

The old coolant is green so not OAT, it also looks pretty cloudy so needs changing. I've drained the engine end (drain plug and thermostat off) and taken the lower hoses off the rads but that's only drained about 15l. I have the heater on as per Pelican but they suggest taking off the main front/rear pipes and I don't really fancy that on axle stands.

Any ideas about how I get the rest out? I do plan to give it a bit of a flush with water before refilling but 7l is a lot of old antifreeze.

Thanks
Mike

I would reconnect the rad lower hoses and disconnect the feed pipes off the supply and return rubber pipes which connect onto the engine hard pipes just below the gearbox on the o/s. They are about 20mm I/D and you could connect a hosepipe to one side and flush until it runs clear and then drain as before. I don't think you'll get it all out.

I used comma xstream red at the strongest effective ratio which is around 50/50 from memory

Thanks Harv,
that's effectively what Pelican said but I don't really fancy getting right under there using axle stands, the larger pipes can be a bu**er to shift too.

I'm hoping others have changed their coolant and someone has a top tip for draining.

I've got the new stat in place, the top bolt isn't easy, even with the water rail loosened but I have a good selection of bendy extensions and wobble bars, definitely a job for the 1/4" socket set.

I'm also using Comma xstream red at 50/50 but I'll flush it all first. Luckily I have plenty of distilled water courtesy of my garage dehumidifier.

As silly as it sounds - tilting the car helps a lot.

I had an absolute pig of a time bleeding my C4S when I changed the engine so I decided to fully drain it down again and try to get everything out including any air locks.

I drained it flat on stands and then put one end higher and then the other end higher and the extra amount that came out was considerable. I then flushed as well as a precaution. Slowly filled again and no problems at all with bleeding. I can only conclude that first time I drained it flat, I didnt get enough out and as a result when I refilled, I introduced a nice air lock.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back