Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 early C2 - Ownership/project thread (cobalt blue)

No buttons required to be moved so simple for me.

Yes its the Topgear std bore 200cel x-pipe. Im sure its just the exhaust combo I have and me being picky but engine/exhaust noise is quite important to me. The Kline system was simply perfect, thing is there now close to £2.5k I believe. That was also on a 3.6, 3.4 does sound a bit different to me.

I heard a clip from a company called Dundon Motorsports in the state who have used a large single back box and it was amazing. One off car though.

Hi C,

just thought I'd chip in about your exhaust, as me and Craig have been chasing exhaust note nirvana since we bought ours.

Basically, you're bang on that the 3.4 sounds different to the 3.6 and you'll never get a 3.4 to sound as good as a 3.6. Depressing to know.

The 3.6 went to Variocam Plus as opposed to just Variocam on the 3.4 and the 3.6 also runs a newer generation of Motronic management. The 3.6 idles nicer and sounds nicer. On cold starts the 3.6 with PSE is just perfection. That's to do with the timing being adjusted on them. The 3.4 doesn't do this hence never sounds as good.

Craig is now on the full switchable Topgear system which is nice.
I've had standard Dansk (now sold) and Gundo'd Dansk (now sold) and am now running an old set of boxes I had on my GT3 years ago. They have a lovely bark and almost a hollow rasp on cold starts and are definitely the closest to a 3.6 I've had on my car so far.

A 3.6 with PSE though is hard to beat and I don't think a 3.4 ever will.

I notice IPE now do systems for ours. They sound fantastic on other makes such as Ferrari, so I'm very interested in hearing an IPE'd 996 3.4.

Anyway, good luck chasing noise perfection. We are still at it. :grin:
Craigs car is at our indy now having the Topgear manifolds fitted. That's the final piece of the puzzle hopefully, as he has the full system with 200cel X pipe cats already fitted.

:thumb:

Yeah I saw the IPE systems for sale, decent price as well. They also do one without cats but wouldn't go that route.

I am either getting used to it or its sooting up a little as it's less apparent now. Still not what I want though so tweaks required.

Wee update on the wing, taking it's time.....

I was going to fit and see what it's like first. Question regarding the rear wing and the light that come up without the loom change, does it beep or make any noise consistently?

Attachments

• img_20180503_084655_722.jpg
    img_20180503_084655_722.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4,330
Marky911 said:
Hi C,

just thought I'd chip in about your exhaust, as me and Craig have been chasing exhaust note nirvana since we bought ours.

Basically, you're bang on that the 3.4 sounds different to the 3.6 and you'll never get a 3.4 to sound as good as a 3.6. Depressing to know.

The 3.6 went to Variocam Plus as opposed to just Variocam on the 3.4 and the 3.6 also runs a newer generation of Motronic management. The 3.6 idles nicer and sounds nicer. On cold starts the 3.6 with PSE is just perfection. That's to do with the timing being adjusted on them. The 3.4 doesn't do this hence never sounds as good.

Craig is now on the full switchable Topgear system which is nice.
I've had standard Dansk (now sold) and Gundo'd Dansk (now sold) and am now running an old set of boxes I had on my GT3 years ago. They have a lovely bark and almost a hollow rasp on cold starts and are definitely the closest to a 3.6 I've had on my car so far.

A 3.6 with PSE though is hard to beat and I don't think a 3.4 ever will.

I notice IPE now do systems for ours. They sound fantastic on other makes such as Ferrari, so I'm very interested in hearing an IPE'd 996 3.4.

Anyway, good luck chasing noise perfection. We are still at it. :grin:
Craigs car is at our indy now having the Topgear manifolds fitted. That's the final piece of the puzzle hopefully, as he has the full system with 200cel X pipe cats already fitted.

:thumb:

Will be very interested to hear how close you get to 3.6 with PSE (which as you rightly say, is hard to beat :thumb: )

One of the reasons I like having a cab is that you get to enjoy the soundtrack just that bit more. In 2019 I should have be able to contribute the following:
- 3.7 litre VarioCam (not +)
- Cargraphic long-tube headers, Top Gear 200 cell cats, Cargraphic sports exhaust
- Syvecs making everything spin/fire
- X51 intake manifold (for however much that's going to contribute)

I'd like it to give that hollow mechanical bark at low revs and howl at higher engine speeds. We shall see!

I managed my first proper road trip in the car last weekend, we were away camping and the wife left early with the kids so I got a nice drive to meet them over the Glenshee road (A93) and then over the Moulin moor to Pitlochry and on from there down Loch Tummel. Friday evening was prefect timing, roads were very quiet. Ive driven the road a lot in various cars Ive had so it was a good benchmark.

Very impressed with the car, the power, handling and ride combination works so well. My Rs4 is faster over this route but doesn't flow as well in the twisties and brakes get used more. Sunday drive back was more sedate and again performed perfectly as a cruiser. The lower console delete and 997 shifter have made a big feel difference to the car. Sound has improved but would still like a little bit louder. I think front end rebush would be good as it is a little vague at times.

Should get my wing today so keen to see how that it. Ive also removed the main colour stripe and thinking of a slight tweak on this. With the wing fitted I was contemplating going with all black on the wheels, black mirror caps, blue stripe close to body colour with black Porsche lettering and a main black section to the upper face of the wing i.e. two tone effect.

Anyway quick pick to show its proving its worth as a practical car, managed to get 3 kids bikes and a car seat in the back with a frunk full of sleeping bag etc.

Attachments

• img_20180505_082312_thumb_jpg_b6e478c543856f1f255f46abf7495d23_125.jpg
    img_20180505_082312_thumb_jpg_b6e478c543856f1f255f46abf7495d23_125.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 4,166
:lol: they would have preferred it. My wife took them and the dog in the T5.
My youngest (3) got in the Rs4 the other week and said "Dad, I really like your cars" to which I asked whats you favourite, "the Porch" was the reply. 8)

Sounds like a nice run out. You're spoilt for good roads up there.

I like the sound of the side stripes in a near body colour. A dark satin blue could be good. Like the example you posted a while back.

Good to see it carrying out family duties well. :thumb:

The exhaust note is so hard to get right huh.
Craig had the Topgear switchable boxes with 200cel X pipe cats. He's just added the topgear manifolds and it may be a step too far now, in loud mode. It's sort of lost that flat 6 sound and is verryy loud on big throttle openings.

Anyway I look forward to seeing the wing. 8)

It here, feels solid. Will need a little prep but seems good. Obviously that's it just sat on top of current spoiler to it will sit a good inch or so lower.

Might get body shop to do my bumper at same time.

Attachments

• img_20180511_193610_837.jpg
    img_20180511_193610_837.jpg
    809 KB · Views: 3,993
  • img_20180511_193644_844.jpg
    img_20180511_193644_844.jpg
    633.1 KB · Views: 3,993
  • img_20180511_193718_153.jpg
    img_20180511_193718_153.jpg
    610.9 KB · Views: 3,993
Looking good. I reckon it'll work well with the Fuchs and side decals. A touch of retro but still modern looking.

The brake light should still be visible too. I've looked at the Getty design one. Not sure.

The £1700 RPM Technik want for their carbon one may be reasonable for a carbon part, but is still a lot of cash and you still need to paint it.

With the ducktail I think rear wiper delete would look even better. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back