Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Any New Thoughts on Batteries?

ballcock

Hi all,
I've been extremely lucky with my battery, a Bosch Silver. It has lasted ten years without trouble.
It's time to change it before it lets me down.
Is Bosch still the go to brand for our cars or are there other thoughts?

Yuasa has been recommended to me by a friend who is in the UPS business ..
What are the thoughts on this ...

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/bul...-year-guarantee-hsb096-silver-12v-car-battery

Thanks!

Still think the Bosch Silver is the Daddy, sure it'd be cheaper than the one from Halfrauds as well. 10 years says it all really :D

Thanks Stu .. finding it difficult to source here in Dublinium :x

In the last couple of years I have changed 4 batteries. 3 were for cars and one on my motorbike.

The Boxsters were showing signs of tired battery syndrome (slightly lazy turnover when starting etc). The 986 had a LION battery (thats the brand not what the battery said :floor: ) it was two years old and out it went for a Bosch Silver, wow what a difference, even the central locking sounded livelier.

The 987 had a Bosch Silver / Porsche unit and was a solid 10 years old, needless to say it was replaced with a Bosch Silver, although not a Porsche branded one. Even if it lasts half as long it will have been worth every penny. Like the 986 the electrics seemed decidedly livelier once fitted, funny how you get used to the gradual deterioration of things.

The 996 got the same like for like Bosch Gold as a precaution as the battery had been flattened a couple of times in rapid succession by a faulty alarm module and didn't feel quite the same afterwards. It was 7 years old though, so maybe getting past it.

On the bike I changed the YUASA for a direct replacement from the same manufacturer. The outgoing unit was 5 years old and for a bike battery, in my experience, that is really good going. It was a no-brainer to choose the same brand after it had performed so well. Only , slightly, odd thing was that the new YUASA was heavier than the outgoing one, I imagined that it might be lighter :dont know:

So, overall, I would stick with the Bosch for cars and the YUASA for bikes, based on my own experience of service life/cost/reliability

Just put that Yuasa battery on last week, recommended by my mechanic friend.

Try Tayna.co.uk for batteries (just don;t go for the recommended i.e. cheapest option!). Got three batteries from them over the last couple of years and couldn't beat their prices (and quick delivery).

RobIpswichUK said:
Try Tayna.co.uk for batteries (just don;t go for the recommended i.e. cheapest option!). Got three batteries from them over the last couple of years and couldn't beat their prices (and quick delivery).

Agreed - fantastic service.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back