Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

what's wrong with this 991 GT3?

I would never consider a 991.1 GT3 even if they put a 20 year warranty on that thing.

The engine top end it just a bad design, rear wheel steering wears out quickly and those actuators are out of stock and who knows what. I don't want to know how long that PDK holds up.... it is a closed unit (not serviceable). If you can stretch to a 991.2.

I'd maybe consider a 997 GT3 (either gen) but opinion seems to be they're less of an all-rounder for both street & track - especially with 2nd gear maxing out so high (84mph).

That said I've not yet driven any GT3.

At least in the first few years of ownership, majority of driving would be weekend/nighttime drives with only 2 or 3 track days a year. Scared to bin the 993 on track tbh with no safety net tech + safety concerns with no cage etc.

mm450exc said:
I would never consider a 991.1 GT3 even if they put a 20 year warranty on that thing.

The engine top end it just a bad design, rear wheel steering wears out quickly and those actuators are out of stock and who knows what. I don't want to know how long that PDK holds up.... it is a closed unit (not serviceable). If you can stretch to a 991.2.

Good points, does the 991.2 fix all of those issues?

MC

badlands said:
I'd maybe consider a 997 GT3 (either gen) but opinion seems to be they're less of an all-rounder for both street & track - especially with 2nd gear maxing out so high (84mph).

That said I've not yet driven any GT3.

At least in the first few years of ownership, majority of driving would be weekend/nighttime drives with only 2 or 3 track days a year. Scared to bin the 993 on track tbh with no safety net tech + safety concerns with no cage etc.
What I did, before I took the GT3 plunge, was book a session at PEC Silverstone.

At maximum, beans on toast for dinner every night, man-maths stretch, my budget could have extended to either 997.2 GT3, or 991.1 GT3. IN my heart, for me, I did feel the 997 was going to be 'the one', but nonetheless, I did not want to switch cars and then start thinking of another switch soon after, as I was after a keeper.

I really liked the 991.1 GT3, a lot, but I am happy owning a 997.1 GT3. You may be different of course, and that's totally understandable. IMHO, there is no 'wrong' answer. Whatever, it's a very big financial commitment, so try before you buy is never a bad policy. I believe the PEC may still have 997 GT3s as well as 991.

On the subject of the 997 gearing, it is something some people chose to resolve with a revised diff. This can also be combined with revised LSD locking ratios too, which apparently save the rear brakes from doing so much work.

Exactly the same headspace I'm in, and great shout to book in at PEC with both cars. It's funny how fixated you can get with spec & opinions etc through research but then drive the things and all that quickly goes out the window as your heart quickly decides what's right for you! then the wallet follows :)

Exciting badlands!
The only thing can add to try help.. seeming that you enjoy the 993 "classic car" type feel I would think you would prefer a 997 gen gt3. for me it blends the old with the new like nothing else.
Unless you want PDK and then you are a 991 type of guy

do still love the 993, it's an incredible car. but feel like i've explored it fully now, and am v excited to try something different...but still porsche.

don't even know if i'll like PDK to be honest...only dual-clutch i've driven is my father-in-law's M5 around Brands Hatch, which didn't leave me with any useful opinion really.

what i do know is I'm definitely looking for excitement/character at all speeds, which the 993 provides in spades. only from what i've read in the forums etc, the 991 gt3 seems to share this trait whereas the 997 gt3s need to be rung out to get a buzz. again *just* what i've read so take with a pinch of salt!

Yep, but wrong way round.. you need to be at "super stupid" speeds in the 991 where as in the 997 is only "mildly stupid" speeds

The 991 is a big big car.. certainly worth trying the size out on the road not just an OPC test track

Buy a manual GT3 though of any type - they are superb fun :thumb:

strange - I don't think of the 991 GT3 as being a big car !

the size of the car has never caused me any issues at all.

I really, really like the PDK box - I can honestly say I dont miss the manual (I had a mk1 996 GT3 CS)
The PDK in the GT3 is different to the non GT cars - much better all round;

I do drive it in manual most of the time, so its more like a sequential box really for me.

I'd recommend decent drives in both cars to get a feel for them.

I'd also run a warranty, but I'm just risk averse where cars are concerned !

Regarding PDK, although for many, many years, I did drive automatic road cars, of late, both my daily drive and my 911s have been manual. SO I was very much unsure how I'd take to PDK.

The simple fact is, it works so nicely, it took barely a couple of laps to get used to using the excellent paddle shift controls and the speed of shifts is actually a thing in and of itself.

As for the size of the car, I've driven various 991s and the cars do not feel all that big, certainly nowhere near as big as my mates R8 GT that I've driven.

why don't you look at a gen 1 RS 997 GT3 or the 3.8 gen 2 GT3 which is still manual and a lovely car for road and track?

not as much power but smaller in size/dimensions.

NLW73 said:
why don't you look at a gen 1 RS 997 GT3 or the 3.8 gen 2 GT3 which is still manual and a lovely car for road and track?

not as much power but smaller in size/dimensions.

definitely very interested in the 3.8 gen 2, 997 GT3. there's a few for sale now but all comfort spec....apparently quite hard to move on if you need to sell. i do know the OPC one has been for sale since early Jan. how many clubsports did they make?

997.1 gt3 rs seems very close to the 997.1 gt3, which am also considering. lots more clubsports available but i prefer the gen 2 styling + interior.

Definitely a well priced car. For a CS it's cheap but mileage hurts values but try and get them to put the full warranty on it as others have said.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back