Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Water in rear lights G2 car

Yeah i wrapped mine in some PPF film. Been water tight since!

Even with ventilation i found them to fog up too quickly when sun shines on them.

Neil,
I was interested in your wrapping solution and would appreciate some details please! What exactly is the process and is it DIY?
Thanks

I have this issue with my left rear lamp unit as well and I have had to drain twice this year. I am actively looking for a replacement.

Couple of questions:

1. Will condensation in the lamp result in a MOT failure / advisory?

2. Part number of my unit is 997.631.417.03/LV . However, I cannot find the exact part number on the porsche part retailer sites e.g. Design911 - nearest I can see is 99763141705. Was unit revised and given a new part number? Are the parts visually identical? My car is a very earlier gen 2 (Oct 2008), though the unit was made in Feb 2010 so must have been replaced by a previous owner.

Condensation won't cause any MoT problems.

Once you have sufficient water sloshing around, the indicator will malfunction and cause warnings on the dash.

If you have condensation or water in the 997.2 rear lights, you need to enable them to breath and get some airflow through them.

Porsche attempted to make them sealed units without the usual little breather tube and this hasn't worked, they really need to breath.

Mine used to mist up years ago, so after trying various things like drying them out etc, I decided to try and improve the airflow. So I removed them from the car, and took off the little cover or sticker that Nigel mentioned earlier in the thread and then drilled, if I recall around 3 or 4 10mm holes in the rear of the housing.

This was about 7 years ago when I did this and the car has lived outside in all weather and they have never misted up or had any condensation in them since.

Its only 2 screws to remove them, plus the connector and then just view the unit from behind and select a few appropriate positions to drill the holes - maybe pilot drill them a smaller size first and be careful only to drill through the first outer casing. This will solve the problem.

davenice said:
I have this issue with my left rear lamp unit as well and I have had to drain twice this year. I am actively looking for a replacement.

Couple of questions:

1. Will condensation in the lamp result in a MOT failure / advisory?

2. Part number of my unit is 997.631.417.03/LV . However, I cannot find the exact part number on the porsche part retailer sites e.g. Design911 - nearest I can see is 99763141705. Was unit revised and given a new part number? Are the parts visually identical? My car is a very earlier gen 2 (Oct 2008), though the unit was made in Feb 2010 so must have been replaced by a previous owner.

I ended up getting a replacement unit as the brake light part of the unit failed, though the indicator part still worked. Interestingly, I did not get a message on the dash to notify me that my left brake light had failed. Paid OPC £435 for it.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back