Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Newbie to the subsection with a purchace, purists look away.

It's a nice looking car, and has been said, has had some love and money spent on it.

But I don't understand why anyone who is a PCGB member would/refer to their car is an "S "model - I assume just because it has the later (hence s) Tiptronic gearbox? Probably only bothers me, but seems to be a quite common misconception.

Fastlane said:
It's a nice looking car, and has been said, has had some love and money spent on it.

But I don't understand why anyone who is a PCGB member would/refer to their car is an "S "model - I assume just because it has the later (hence s) Tiptronic gearbox? Probably only bothers me, but seems to be a quite common misconception.

:agree:

I'm like that as well. The kick plates in the doors also brand it differently as a 'Black Edition' - no biggie tho OP can take them all off if he wants to.

Looks tidy enough and if it stacks up mechanically then why not :thumbs:

(It is very shiny :grin:)

lose that rear wing as it looks awful

its not even a good GT or RS copy as :
a) you have a sunroof
b) its slush box

will look a lot better without all that nonsense on the back of it.

Hi Adam,

nice looking car rear wing and painted sets :rocker:

I'm from Rochdale if you buy it we can meet up at: 5 Huddersfield Rd, Denshaw, Oldham OL3 5SD and take cars for a spin :drive:

APL911 said:
Shame is a tip, looks pretty cool really.

Enjoy! :thumb:

Harsh.. :wack:

Thanks for the comments and the welcome, I've been lurking for a while and looking at build threads and issues. I wouldn't usually buy a damaged car and it's the total opposite of what I wanted but...

I hope that my wife will use it for the commute (HAS to be an auto) instead of the Cayenne and then we can sell that and buy an estate for family duties, or there is always the M3, but she doesn't particularly like driving it, so that's why I don't mind the tiptronic s.

I'm also not a big lover of the 996 front if I'm being honest, it's not a deal breaker but I do prefer the 997 front, I also prefer the aerokit cars over the standard and I've always hand a hankering for a targa. so it's a good start into 911 ownership (hopefully)

I plan to learn how to get the best out of what I have for now and learn the rear engined cars handling characteristics and then we'll see what happens.

I'd kind of agree with the badging comments as there was never a 996 Targa S, just the Targa Tiptronic S which I know isn't the same thing and I believe the Black Edition is a relatively new thing, compared to the age of the car. I'll decide on the way forward after I actually pick it up.

HSC, Yes please, is there more than just the missing letters/numbers by the valve stem? Does it involve removing the wheels?

Phil, Thanks, I'll pop to one when I have it, I don't drink hot drinks and I don't drink and drive so I'll definitely be the odd one out with a coke :grin:

I agree, it's been personalised, and I don't think it's OTT, just a nicely modified car, that could be badged worse

If there are any knickers in there, I'll hide them somewhere as a good luck charm :grin:

500 said:
Thanks for the comments and the welcome, I've been lurking for a while and looking at build threads and issues. I wouldn't usually buy a damaged car and it's the total opposite of what I wanted but...

I hope that my wife will use it for the commute (HAS to be an auto) instead of the Cayenne and then we can sell that and buy an estate for family duties, or there is always the M3, but she doesn't particularly like driving it, so that's why I don't mind the tiptronic s.

I'm also not a big lover of the 996 front if I'm being honest, it's not a deal breaker but I do prefer the 997 front, I also prefer the aerokit cars over the standard and I've always hand a hankering for a targa. so it's a good start into 911 ownership (hopefully)

I plan to learn how to get the best out of what I have for now and learn the rear engined cars handling characteristics and then we'll see what happens.

I'd kind of agree with the badging comments as there was never a 996 Targa S, just the Targa Tiptronic S which I know isn't the same thing and I believe the Black Edition is a relatively new thing, compared to the age of the car. I'll decide on the way forward after I actually pick it up.

HSC, Yes please, is there more than just the missing letters/numbers by the valve stem? Does it involve removing the wheels?

Phil, Thanks, I'll pop to one when I have it, I don't drink hot drinks and I don't drink and drive so I'll definitely be the odd one out with a coke :grin:

I agree, it's been personalised, and I don't think it's OTT, just a nicely modified car, that could be badged worse

If there are any knickers in there, I'll hide them somewhere as a good luck charm :grin:

:floor: :floor: enjoy the car mate :thumb: :thumb:

500 said:

That's what made me question them. Take a small mirror or use your phone's video camera.

Stick it behind the spokes and look for NOT OEM EQUIPMENT or missing part numbers :bandit:

:thumb:

HSC911 said:
That's what made me question them. Take a small mirror or use your phone's video camera.

Stick it behind the spokes and look for NOT OEM EQUIPMENT or missing part numbers :bandit:

:thumb:

Thanks :thumb: , I'll take a mirror. the wording does imply that they are genuine

C4 STORM, any thread links to point me to the paddle shift mod? Thanks

500 said:
I'd kind of agree with the badging comments as there was never a 996 Targa S, just the Targa Tiptronic S which I know isn't the same thing and

Just to be clear there is no such thing as a "911 Targa Tiptronic S" (in 996.2 form) any more than there is a "911 Targa Manual 6 Speed" - they are both just 911 Targas.

It irritates me when people advertise their cars as an S when their car is not an S - it just has the automatic (Tiptronic S) gearbox. I can only assume this is because:
a) Of ignorance - people have even argued this on here, as "that is what the V5 says" - like the DVLA gets it right all the time!
b) They are trying to mislead people into thinking they are buying a C4S and so expect a premium, when in fact tiptronic cars are generally worth less than their equivalent manual cars.

At the end of the day, congratulations on finding a car that is ideal for your needs. Enjoy! :thumb:

So, I picked the car up last Sunday, Happy with it but rushed a bit when picking it up and didn't spot all the little issues but spotted a few and got some money off. Luckily, I'm handy with the spanners and I used to be an auto electrician so I'll be able to fix most issues myself.

I'll start a build/repair thread in due course as I'm going away soon and won't have time to do much before then.

I have a trip to the 'ring and Spa at the end of July/start of August so will hopefully have it all sorted by then, but I may still take the M3 as it's pretty much sorted. It's my first car with an engine behind me so I'm expecting it''ll take me a while to get fully used to it as I'm no where near confident enough to push it like I can my M3. First up will be a set of PS4S's as the current Falken rears need replacing soon , shame as the fronts have plenty of life left in them, oh well, they'll go on an online auction site.

The stereo is a modern android type unit and I'm not happy with the sound, I think that the car had an amplifier as standard and this has been bypassed. before I strip the car down, I'm guessing it was in the frunk? I seem to have the dash speakers working off the front output and a the N/S/R and O/S/F door on the rear output obviously this needs changing.

The drivers seat switch is a bit dodgy so need to strip it down and repair it

It's got yellow stuff pads in, I'm not a lover of EBC and they don't inspire confidence and seem to lack initial bite so thinking of changing to Dixcel type RA pads

I think that's it for now....

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back