Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Urgent help/advice needed

The hydraulic system is a closed system. If the level has fallen, you have a leak somewhere. Can you get it up on a ramp and check it out for leaks? Trying to diagnose without a lift and equipment can be challenging on these cars.

If it is the power steering low on fluid, don't drive it as you could damage the PS mechanism - and I suspect that will be expensive if it gets damaged.

Marky911 said:
PS Not sure how involved removing the belt is on a Turbo. On a Carrera it's simply a case of removing the airbox then using a spanner on the tensioner, and slipping the belt off. My GT3 was equally simple so as long as none of the extra Turbo gear is in the way, it should be easy.

A fellow turbo owner may have some other ideas. Good luck.

Just the same as on yours Mark - 15mm spanner on the tensioner after youve removed the airbox.

There are literally loads of possibilities for whats causing a whirring noise dude, so I'm going to wait for a bit more info before having a guess. Good luck though :thumb:

chriscoates81 said:
I visited body shop and he said he didn't hear anything unusual. My local garage suggested it could be a low power steering fluid level. Is it true the clutch and the power steering share the same fluid.

Yup .

If you want to remove the belt to check the idlers on a Turbo then remove the PAS pully .. it will make life a lot easier .. well .. as much as possible anyways .

water on a Turbo drive belt will cause noises , as will a weak tensioner .

cheshire911 said:
The hydraulic system is a closed system. If the level has fallen, you have a leak somewhere. Can you get it up on a ramp and check it out for leaks? Trying to diagnose without a lift and equipment can be challenging on these cars.

If it is the power steering low on fluid, don't drive it as you could damage the PS mechanism - and I suspect that will be expensive if it gets damaged.

I know the clutch acclamator has a weep under the bonnet and that's why I wondered if it was that.

That leak needs to be sorted. Also check all the hydraulic pipework to clutch and steering rack. The steering rack has a common corrosion point on the pipework that can create leaks.

Timing is tight if a buyer is coming in days. But its best to have it seen and sorted before a buyer comes. Unless of course the buyer is Stevie Wonders twin with shared genes from the President of the Royal Society for the Deaf.

cheshire911 said:
That leak needs to be sorted. Also check all the hydraulic pipework to clutch and steering rack. The steering rack has a common corrosion point on the pipework that can create leaks.

Timing is tight if a buyer is coming in days. But its best to have it seen and sorted before a buyer comes. Unless of course the buyer is Stevie Wonders twin with shared genes from the President of the Royal Society for the Deaf.

Your quote does make me chuckle, im just not sure ive got the time. As i say, im not picking it up till tomorrow afternoon (although i could still book some time off work to get it looked at). Just to tide it over, is there a fill line on the reservoir or not?

Pretty sure it has a dipstick. Make sure you have the right grade fluid for top up.

Ok cheers, its something ive never touched before.

Is it a standard fluid rather than a Porsche specific one to use?

It says on the top of the reservoir lid if memory serves, but I would check in the manual etc. Pentosin something or other. :dont know:

I'd read pentasoin (not 100% sure on spelling) and it should be either 11s or 202 but I think they're pretty standard fluids so hopefully my local garage guy will have them.

Did your new buyer collect the car on saturday? So the thread is over?

Slight misunderstanding. I'd suggested sat or syn but he hadn't agreed to it and I've had no contact since Tuesday of last week so I've offered it to other people. I messaged him last Wednesday, last Friday and today with no response. Car is OK now though.

So you sorted the leak and car is all OK to go to another owner?

Good luck with the sale. Is it advertised on here?

Yep all sorted, it is listed on here but nobody seems interested.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back