Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Service Schedule, Miles, Oil..

C4-STORM

Evening all 8)

So 996 service intervals changed in 2003 to 12k/24 months whichever is sooner.

On that basis many of the average to low mileage examples may well have only had the oil dropped every 2 years.

Less frequent oil change combined with shorter trips/less use - the weekend car. Are these examples more prone to bore score/engine related issues :?:

Were there any actual uprated components developed in the '53 onwards models?

:dont know:

No components were changed for the 04 MY cars, (except the battery I think). It was thought that modern oils could last longer.

It would be interesting to have a 2yr old oil sample tested by Millers to see how effective it stil is.

alex yates said:
Nearly all reported 996 ims bearing failures in my data collection was 53 plate C4S models.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=100994

Interesting Alex, did they report how far down the line?

I'm assuming the failure would be a few years in :?:

As bore score apparently is more likely than IMS failure do you think the same pattern would be likely??

Robertb said:
No components were changed for the 04 MY cars, (except the battery I think). It was thought that modern oils could last longer.

It would be interesting to have a 2yr old oil sample tested by Millers to see how effective it stil is.

So by that reckoning regarding oil technology, a '53 onwards which had been serviced annually or sooner (regardless of the low/ave miles) with quality oil would be less likely to suffer engine issues or is it more likely down to drive cycles or both??

My last 2 daily drivers (Both VAG group cars) have a duty cycle clause in the hand book and the on board computer. If you do short trips or live in dusty areas, they say oil changes must be every 12 months, so the usage you outline would require oil changes every 12 months. 24 month oil changes are for cars that are used on frequent long distance runs.

My 996 is older than the 2 year oil change option so don't have access to to that version of handbook, but I would be surprised if the hand book didn't have a similar duty cycle clause.

C4-STORM said:
Robertb said:

So by that reckoning regarding oil technology, a '53 onwards which had been serviced annually or sooner (regardless of the low/ave miles) with quality oil would be less likely to suffer engine issues or is it more likely down to drive cycles or both??

I'm with you on this Robertb. There have been step changes in oil technology which were mostly Synthetic oil. They are very resistant to breakdown of lubricating properties compared to mineral oils which really needed 12 month changes.

Whilst the synthetic oils would maintain its lubricating properties, the problem of extended service schedules is the particles and combustion contaminants that build up in the oil. Less stressed duty cycles produce less of these hence being able to extend the oil change schedule.

I have a Dec 2004 996 C4S Manual, I change the oil every 3000 miles and have it serviced every 24 months, I've had the car 4 years and done 11000 miles, forget what the book says, just change it every 3000, you know its done then, it costs about £45 and takes about 20 minutes.

All makes sense especially the drive cycle requirements :thumb:

Common sense should prevail and I know plenty of (inc. non-pork) drivers who insist on an annual oil change regardless of the manufacturers schedule.

Vehicle manufacturers also needed to demonstrate economy with less frequent or shorter services/inspections.

I just wonder if many of the bore score casualties were those 996's which were serviced every other year.. :dont know:

I see annual oil changes as a very reasonably-priced Insurance policy against a big bill. Do the middle one yourself and they're at most about £120, even with the best Millers/whatever.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back