Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Steering wheel height adjustment

Ok i had a look at a column .. the top part from the handle down is a seperate part to the base and unlocking mechanism.

The handle and shaft twist and as they do the shaft moves downwards .. this then presses on the bottom shaft and moves it down .. it moves full travel about an inch .

The join between the two is at the arrow .. i need you to look at this part then move the handle up and down and see if a gap appears .. it did on the one i looked at .

If it does then even though its a tiny amount of movement it means the handle and shaft to that point are free to move .

Without a strip down of the column then there not much you can do at that point .

For the top section then keep spraying the joints at any section you can that houses the shaft .

I think its probably the base and lock mechanism thats stuck .. hitting it may help but im not going to advise that :hand:

Attachments

• img_2310_698_179.jpg
    img_2310_698_179.jpg
    518.5 KB · Views: 5,875
DeMort... thanks for looking into this further.

Yes I can feel the top section moving a small amount at the point you have arrowed.
The shaft below is stuck solid.
Have just given it a few minutes of hammer tapping, but nothing happening. Obviously reluctant to hit it too hard.
Do you think heat might help? I have a steam jet washer with a reasonably accurate nozzle that could be aimed at the metal housing.

Did you manage to locate any wiring diagrams for the Targa? would be good to have a set. Thanks

I dont think heat will help much by what ever method .. its internal and from what i saw when looking its a preened over cover on the top side to access the mechanism .

This is one of those jobs you only tackle if you have a reason to do it as it may well end up with a new column being needed .

Can you pm me the year of your car and an email addy to send it too .. or if you wish just the year and ill do an upload for you to download .

Sorry .. i forgot at the weekend :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back