Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Changed my suspension, what an interesting couple of days!

I can't see the pics at work, did you change the lower arms & "tuning forks" ? I did them on mine at a similar mileage without changing the shocks and there was a noticeable improvement.

The squeak I was *trying* to fix eventually turned out to be the inner track rod ends.

Robertb said:
Excellent load of work to have done yourself. As a recent convert to doing a few little jobs myself I can only admire your skills! Not sure I'd be brave enough to tackle that... wouldn't mind doing the shocks though.

Before I got the 996 I hadn't so much as taken a wheel off a car before. I just felt doing some of the work myself saved a tonne on labour costs, gave me a real sense of satisfaction learning a new skill and also felt closer to the car if that makes sense...better bond!

A lot of it is logical, if you can follow an instruction manual and don't mind getting a tad dirty you'd be able to do most of it.

Sundayjumper said:
I can't see the pics at work, did you change the lower arms & "tuning forks" ? I did them on mine at a similar mileage without changing the shocks and there was a noticeable improvement.

The squeak I was *trying* to fix eventually turned out to be the inner track rod ends.

Didn't do anything other than shocks, springs and ARB but will get to them soon. I've got exactly the same squeak...sounded like it was coming from the strut but I think it's the tie rod ends or steering rack

Leon1davies said:
Robertb said:
Excellent load of work to have done yourself. As a recent convert to doing a few little jobs myself I can only admire your skills! Not sure I'd be brave enough to tackle that... wouldn't mind doing the shocks though.

Before I got the 996 I hadn't so much as taken a wheel off a car before. I just felt doing some of the work myself saved a tonne on labour costs, gave me a real sense of satisfaction learning a new skill and also felt closer to the car if that makes sense...better bond!

A lot of it is logical, if you can follow an instruction manual and don't mind getting a tad dirty you'd be able to do most of it.

Absolutely agree... even with my modest list of work (new rear discs/pads, front drop link, radiator fan, front PU off/on) I feel like I know the car better and saved £££.

Rear upper control arm to do next, though it seems to be lost in the post and Carparts4less customer service is utter pants.

Leon1davies said:

Good man ! :D

I keep telling people that cars are just nuts & bolts, and to get stuck in.

Leon1davies said:
chicb said:
Nice job, well done, but maybe you should also be buying a set of jump leads and/or a battery charger

Yeah I did have a set of cables but for whatever reason couldn't get enough charge through them. Had it hooked up to the disco for about 30-40 min without any luck! Dodgy cables I put it down to so replaced them now

Double 'em up :grin:

Nice write up. Makes me want to attack my own suspension niggles. Thanks.

Mike

Leon1davies said:
EGTE said:
Good job! :thumb:

You really need to get the Paragon "101 Projects" book now; it will really help you to do more of this good stuff.

Is that the one by Wayne from pelican parts? Will check out the paragon one if it's different...thanks :thumb:

Sorry, Pelican (always think Paragon, for some strange reason). Really handy book (I know it's all on the website, but having a book right beside you is v.handy).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back