Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Advice on mods sought!!

Richtw

So I have a bit of an addiction to aftermarket mods but am relaitively new to Porsche! I am seriously liking the Oz Ultraleggera wheels and via some awesome man maths have managed to calculate that new wheels are cheaper than spacers :)

In terms of modding Porsche's is this a bit of no no - should I keep it oem? Will it cause me pain down the line when I come to sell the car?

I am really interested to hear peoples thoughts and opinions before I ruin my car in the eyes of a true enthusiast!!

Thanks

Rich, heres my 2p on the subject of mods.

The first and most important thing when considering mods is -

Are you type of guy that doesnt have sex with your wife/girlfriend so shes less worn for the next guy. :floor: :floor: if so then dont mod your car. :grin:

Are you the type of guy that buys a car for you to enjoy now today and tomorrow if so then mods are for you.

There are two types of mods irriversable and reversible 99% of mods that most of us do are fairly easily reversable when you want to sell. The advantage of this is you enjoy the car today and get best money for it when you sell and you have the mods you can also sell. the downside it you need space to store the stock parts and you cant sell some of them to recoupe modding costs.

So the types of thing that guys with 911s who like to personalise do

change the alloys
18" will gice the softest ride or add a retro look (fuch)
19" are the std for most 997s and are easily changed for aftermarket or other Porsche styles.
20" look nice fill the arch but will make the ride harder there are no std 20" wheels for the 997.

Add a wing front lip etc.
If you want to stay with Porsche OE then the only real options are an Aero kit/ GT3 kit or add turbo wing bumper etc.

Aftermarket there are dozens of options avail from good well made to nasty cheap crap and everything in-between .

Sound.
options range from changing the back boxes to OE PSE to full aftermarket systems with 200 cell cats or catless track only options, depending on what you want sound wise will depend on what you need and budget. everything is avail from mild sports sound to the gates of hell opening lol.
also for a very small outlay the BMC airfilter and resinator delets silicon hose mod adds a nice induction note above 5k revs. and a smoother free flowing engine.

power
full exhaust and 200 cell cats is the first most do chasing BHP , 200 cell cats is one of the bigger power wins in the low mid range.
IPD GT3 throttle body /plenum this needs a remap after doing it to get the best from the car and is the other big power win avail for these cars.
there are lots of other smaller things like 4" underdrive pulley and shorter belt .

If budget was not an issue and also hard to convert back but 10k would get you a supercharger and 150 BHP extra :grin: but if you do that you really should be thinking about upgrading to a turbo 997 unless like me you really prefer the NA engines.

good stance
Lowering the car is the fav here some will ping 6k on ohlins but most will just lower on springs varous options from 20mm to 35mm drop this also tucks in the top camber so should ideally be done in conjunction with spacers or alloys or both.

Handling
DSC pasm upgrade module is great but about 1k
lowering and widening will also address these things a bit.
semi solid engine mounts will stop the engine swinging around on old worn mounts.

These are the list of most done mods for fast road cars , track focussed cars will do things slightly differently as they have different needs.

IMO think about what you want to do ask on here for any pitfalls or shortcuts do it, enjoy it as its part of your 911 experience. and convert it back when selling.
any questions I have missed feel free to ask away either myself or one of the others will try and point you in the right direction.

Rich before you start your mods journey , what car have you got and have you addressed all the preventative measures to give your self the best chance of a great 911 experience , knowing and addressing those few things for me is the most important thing to do before spending hard earned on mods .
know what oil your using is it the best when should I change it , how to drive the car when cold . those are the things I mean mate :thumb: :thumb: :grin:

Thanks Phil. Appreciate the advice :)

I am/ have taken care of all the bits that need taking care of in terms of preventative maintenance. To be fair the car was very well sorted from RSJ on day one and had been a bit of a garage queen!!

I am not chasing bhp as the car is quick enough for road use as it is! Already fitted with the PSE from factory so loud enough and no drone!! Mainly cosmetic mods really - makes sense to keep the oem parts for future sale forwards - good advice :)

Thanks

Rich

Richtw said:
Thanks Phil. Appreciate the advice :)

I am/ have taken care of all the bits that need taking care of in terms of preventative maintenance. To be fair the car was very well sorted from RSJ on day one and had been a bit of a garage queen!!

I am not chasing bhp as the car is quick enough for road use as it is! Already fitted with the PSE from factory so loud enough and no drone!! Mainly cosmetic mods really - makes sense to keep the oem parts for future sale forwards - good advice :)

Thanks

Rich

Great Rich glad to hear it mate , good luck with the mods and the assosiated man maths required :grin: keep us posted on what your planning :thumb: :thumb:

There are also quite a few mods you can do to the interior as well if it's just the look you want to change and you can change quite a bit staying with oem parts such as different wheels or knob that are worth looking at as well.

Thefinn said:
There are also quite a few mods you can do to the interior as well if it's just the look you want to change and you can change quite a bit staying with oem parts such as different wheels or knob that are worth looking at as well.

Agreed pick up the bits of ebay get them painted or retrimmed etc and keep your original parts safe in the garage.

heres a couple of pics for ideas ,alcantara steering wheel, arm rest, handbreak , gear knob and lower dash . Body coloured centre console chrono surround and door spears. coloured seatbelts . :thumb: :thumb:

Attachments

• img_2267_209.jpg
    img_2267_209.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,887
  • img_2059_198.jpg
    img_2059_198.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 1,887
  • img_2227_132.jpg
    img_2227_132.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,887
  • img_2220_478.jpg
    img_2220_478.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,887
If you're not a purist, then go ahead and modify the car.

As Phil says, if you're worried about future resale and so on, only do the reversible stuff.

I tend to do all the stuff underneath and keep the exterior stock (my thinking is that the cosmetic mods are expensive but they don't make you any faster...!)

Just noticed in the first picture, Phil... That umbrella isn't colour coded to the car... what's going on? You losing your touch, mate? :p

DrJimBone said:
Just noticed in the first picture, Phil... That umbrella isn't colour coded to the car... what's going on? You losing your touch, mate? :p

:floor: Jimbo thats only my back up umbrella ,as I have in pride of place and at great expense the one that fits in the PAX door sill . :grin: :grin:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back