Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Front Aero Splitter - Now Fitted to Aero Bumper

Phil 997 said:
DucatiRob said:
So my new bumper turned up today, perfect timing as it's booked in for painting on Monday! Have just had a quick test fit of the splitter which appears to be about half an inch too short :eek:

Has anyone fitted one of these themselves? Any cutting/trimming needed? Is there a knack to how it slots in?

I started fitting it from one end, the tabs don't seem to push in all the way in some places which is why I'm thinking the PU may need to be rimed a little, although if this really is an OEM part I wouldn't expect to need to trim the splitter to fit!

Rob sadly it sounds like that same issue the guy had down here, nasty replica piece , mate honestly send it back it will give you no end of problems falling off.
dont get into a debate with the seller as he's not very responsive. He really really shouldnt use the word OEM in his ad as its not, its OEM style.

I fear you may be right Phil! Will see what he says!

DucatiRob - sorry, that gutting as you are working to a timesscale. As has already been said, I would sent it back, as its tricky to get cheap replica mouldings to look right (or costs more in the bodyshop than it would to have bought the authentic part in the first place)

Did you buy it via ebay?
If so, they are usually great and dealing with cases where the item is 'not as described'.

Also make sure the seller pays return postage, lots of sellers try-it-on and say, send it back for a refund....where actually they are legally obliged to pay the return postage, providing its not as advertised.

Kingb4 said:
DucatiRob - sorry, that gutting as you are working to a timesscale. As has already been said, I would sent it back, as its tricky to get cheap replica mouldings to look right (or costs more in the bodyshop than it would to have bought the authentic part in the first place)

Did you buy it via ebay?
If so, they are usually great and dealing with cases where the item is 'not as described'.

Also make sure the seller pays return postage, lots of sellers try-it-on and say, send it back for a refund....where actually they are legally obliged to pay the return postage, providing its not as advertised.

Thanks Kingb4! Yes, it's so annoying, particularly as I wanted this sorted before Dinslaken. Yes, it's from ebay, haven't heard from the seller yet, will at least give him a chance to respond.

Have been wrestling with it for the last hour or so! I am sure I can make it fit, the lip between the tabs just looks a little too deep and a little too thick in some places, this is making it stand proud slightly and therefore not able to wrap around the bumper, this is why I thought it was not quite long enough at first.

I could probably trim and shave it to make it fit into the slot in the bumper better, its almost there now with a little force. Don't want to start hacking it around until I hear back from the seller.

The car has to go in for painting on Monday as I had to persuade them to fit me at relatively short notice!

The finish on the PU lip isn't so great, but not sue what they are like from the factory anyway, no decent quality pics of this part as far as I can see. The finish isn't so much of a problem as I intend to paint it satin/matt black anyway.

DucatiRob said:
if this really is an OEM part I wouldn't expect to need to trim the splitter to fit!

Does it have a part number on it?

If it is OEM then it would :dont know:

DucatiRob said:
Kingb4 said:

Did you buy it via ebay?

Thanks Kingb4! Yes, it's so annoying, particularly as I wanted this sorted before Dinslaken. Yes, it's from ebay, haven't heard from the seller yet, will at least give him a chance to respond.

Have been wrestling with it for the last hour or so! I am sure I can make it fit, the lip between the tabs just looks a little too deep and a little too thick in some places, this is making it stand proud slightly and therefore not able to wrap around the bumper, this is why I thought it was not quite long enough at first.

I could probably trim and shave it to make it fit into the slot in the bumper better, its almost there now with a little force. Don't want to start hacking it around until I hear back from the seller.

The car has to go in for painting on Monday as I had to persuade them to fit me at relatively short notice!

The finish on the PU lip isn't so great, but not sue what they are like from the factory anyway, no decent quality pics of this part as far as I can see. The finish isn't so much of a problem as I intend to paint it satin/matt black anyway.

Rob , I have been thinking about this for a while and I remember the seller telling the guy down here to use a hair dryer and get some heat on it to make it fit better , :thumb: it never matched up right at the wheel arch though it was always a bit short maybe 1/2 inch or so

HSC911 said:
DucatiRob said:
if this really is an OEM part I wouldn't expect to need to trim the splitter to fit!

It does have a number on, it P 99 04 FL, not a Porsche part number I'm sure!

Phil 997 said:
Rob , I have been thinking about this for a while and I remember the seller telling the guy down here to use a hair dryer and get some heat on it to make it fit better , :thumb: it never matched up right at the wheel arch though it was always a bit short maybe 1/2 inch or so

Yes Phil, I think a hair dryer might help! I think I can make it fit if I trim it up though, undecided if I will do this, limited time if I send it back and order another from Teile or an OPC, maybe they are a stock item here in the UK :dont know:

Can't be :dont know:

That's like the fake centre cap part numbers, should be a 997.xxx.xxx.xx number and have the 'P' triangle on it too:

E.G. Top left, a bit faint.

39774604755_5784674e95_z.jpg

DucatiRob said:
HSC911 said:
DucatiRob said:

thats a wierd number even though it looks like its for a 997 the logic of that aftermarket part number would tell me its for a Porsche 1999 to 2004 front lip
but really cant see how that would fit on a gen2 996 :?: :dont know:

Phil 997 said:
DucatiRob said:
HSC911 said:
DucatiRob said:

thats a wierd number even though it looks like its for a 997 the logic of that aftermarket part number would tell me its for a Porsche 1999 to 2004 front lip

Phil, the guy on ebay says its made in the UK! He's being a bit of a d1ck! Says he's sold hundreds and never had a problem!

I have just about managed to fit it, with a lot of shaving, trimming and sanding on the inside, was not easy at all but I think it will look ok once it is painted in a matt finish.

I really don't have the time to be sending it back and trying to get one from Teile, so it will have to do for the time being! With my luck recently I will probably turn up at Dinslaken with it wrapped around the rear axel! :eek:

Just hope others on here are forewarned and don't make the same mistake I did!

DucatiRob said:
Phil 997 said:
DucatiRob said:
HSC911 said:
DucatiRob said:

Phil, the guy on ebay says its made in the UK! He's being a bit of a d1ck! Says he's sold hundreds and never had a problem!

I have just about managed to fit it, with a lot of shaving, trimming and sanding on the inside, was not easy at all but I think it will look ok once it is painted in a matt finish.

I really don't have the time to be sending it back and trying to get one from Teile, so it will have to do for the time being! With my luck recently I will probably turn up at Dinslaken with it wrapped around the rear axel! :eek:

Just hope others on here are forewarned and don't make the same mistake I did!

yes he was a d1ck to the guy down here says hes sold hundreds no problem. clearly from my excerience hes 2 for 2 on failure rate so your right to steer others away from buying from him. hopefully mate it will do the job until you get back from Dinslaken and track down a genuine one. see you at the bar in Germany :thumb: :thumb:

So my car went off to the body shop on last Monday to have the Aero bumper painted and fitted and my passenger door repaired, picked it up on Thursday and very happy with the results :) I'd taken the opportunity to shape and bond some mesh to the plastic air intake extensions before it went for painting! £10 from B&Q plus many coats of dark silver paint.. to match my wheels, not that you can tell once fitted :oops:

I'd worked out where the splitter wasn't fitting properly so while the car was away I attacked it with a stanley knife and an angle grinder :eek: , the PU seemed too thick in the recess where it locates on the lip of the bumper and stood to proud, stopping it from wrapping all the way round the bumper! The PU finish was rubbish so a few coats of satin black vinyl paint and it does;t look too bad!

Fitted today and very happy with the look! It scraped on the first speed bump I drove over today so will see how long it lasts!

IMG_1267.jpg

IMG_1265.jpg

That looks great. Nice job :thumb:

Cheers :thumb:

I'm guessing the tow hook cover is slightly different for the Aero bumper as the old one doesn't sit flush!

DucatiRob said:
Cheers :thumb:

I'm guessing the tow hook cover is slightly different for the Aero bumper as the old one doesn't sit flush!

That looks better than I was expecting mate , credit to you for persisting and tweaking the lip. and yes the tow eye cover is a different shape to the stock one but only a few quid from the OPC :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back