Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Taking ages to get to normal temperature

I replaced both my water radiators on Monday. System bled and not needed to top it up so far. I am running it for a few days with the bleed valve open (previously advised by indie when I had my water pump changed).

I have noted the last two days it has taken around 7 miles to get up to normal temperature on the gauge. Its not cold out.

Could there be an issue, maybe with the thermostat or possibly just because I am running with the bleed valve open and its not getting pressurised?

Thoughts welcome.

:dont know: but I'd normally allow 7 miles anyway before 'unleashing the beast'.

What did it take before?

Mine has always been pretty much 10 minutes for water, 15 for oil. Another 5 mins on top of that in winter.

Tell us in time, not miles, that's irrelevant.

Miles could be relevant, but agree it is more time based.

I'll answer both for comparison, I'm up to full temp after:

3 or 4 miles of fast A road/motorway (5 minutes or so)
10 to 15 minutes if i'm in town at lower speeds, stop/start traffic etc.

The bleed valve being open might make a difference I guess, the system needs to be pressurised to work properly, but it can also be a symptom of the thermostat stuck open.

Heating up

About 15 minutes. Mixture of 30 mph and 60 mph (up a massive hill).

Previously I recon about 5-8 minutes to reach normal water temp.

There was some much in the rads, but not excessive. Could be another factor for better cooling.

I will try it with the bleed valve closed as I don't think there is any more air to come out.

15 minutes sounds spot on under normal (keeping below 3k rpm) warming up driving.

Also don't forget the bleed valve isn't a bleed valve in the conventional sense of the word - as mentioned its a bypass but at no point is the system open to the atmosphere (unless you leave the cap off). Its a pressurized system with or without the bleed valve open.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mchass
Back