Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

ABS Speed Sensor Bolt!

C4-STORM

Hockenheim
Soaked it in penetrant but still won't budge. Feels as though it will break.

Any other tips :eh!:

If you're removing it because it's duff and don't mind doing further damage, then give it a damn good wire brushing, paint it with Cillit Bang (yes really, it's great at dissolving corrosion), and repeat a couple of times throughout a day. Next soak it with WD40 and leave overnight. Then, when you're feeling brave, get a butane torch and heat up the upright nice and hot. Now use a six sided (rather than twelve sided) socket to snap the head off knowing that you've done all you can. (This is what happened to me with the same part on a front upright on my 996).

Now buy a helicoil kit and very carefully drill out the rest of the bolt and install the helicoil.

Helicoiling is not a black art, and I've used them in several places on several cars with a 100% success rate. You just need to be methodical and accurate when removing the old bolt remains.

Martin996RSR said:
If you're removing it because it's duff and don't mind doing further damage, then give it a damn good wire brushing, paint it with Cillit Bang (yes really, it's great at dissolving corrosion), and repeat a couple of times throughout a day. Next soak it with WD40 and leave overnight. Then, when you're feeling brave, get a butane torch and heat up the upright nice and hot. Now use a six sided (rather than twelve sided) socket to snap the head off knowing that you've done all you can.

Now buy a helicoil kit and very carefully drill out the rest of the bolt and install the helicoil.

Thanks Martin.

Have pretty much resided to the fact that I will need to drill out and helicoil.

This is a common occurance then? :nooo:

Yes, very common due to Porsche penny pinching and using mild steel bolts to bolt the car together, even in very exposed areas such as the wheel wells, not helped by the fact that those bolts are frequently holding aluminium parts on, guaranteeing galvanic (dissimilar metal) corrosion, which does a great job of seizing the bolts.

I strongly reccommend buying a multipack of different sized stainless steel bolts off Ebay and replacing every bolt you take off the car with a stainless one. This is particularly important when it comes to the exhaust. Pretty much every bolt on the car is available on Ebay in stainless, and many in titanium if you're feeling flush. If you're not sure what size the original bolt is, go on the Design911 website and use their parts diagrams and associated parts lists, which mention the bolt size, taking out the guesswork.

What penetrating fluid are you using?

Also, get in the habit of using copper grease or blue threadlock as appropriate to help stuff to not seize again in future.

Basically you put coppergrease on where something goes through a bush, and/or where the part is not safety critical you can put it on the thread. Where the part is safety critical, use blue threadlock (not red). It doesn't actually lock the thread, it just stops the bolt from rattling out and modifies the amount of torque needed to remove it. Using it generously also helps to put a barrier between the bolt and the hole it is in, and this reduces the chances of seizure due to corrosion.

WD40 is useless. The clue is in the name, "Water Dispersant formula 40".

Use plus gas penetrating fluid.

Tap tap tap it with a hammer. Smack it hard but not too hard.

Use some more plus gas.

Get it really hot. Get it really cold.

Use some more plug gas.

Repeat the above many times.

Use the T bar from your socket set to apply an equal rotational force to the bolt. A breaker bar will break it off.

Have a decent set of drill bits at the ready.

Cheers guys - Great advice.

I have been using SAS20 but I think we have some freeze shock spray somewhere here. I will try that and try tapping etc. to break the thread.

Fingers crossed :thumb:

Try some PlusGas or WD40 branded penetrating oil, which is also excellent.

Robertb said:
Try some PlusGas or WD40 branded penetrating oil, which is also excellent.
:thumb:

Okay finally I did get the bolt out, managed to get a few turns going each way and then plenty of spray..

.. But could I get the sensor out, could I boll**ks.

Word of advice to anyone attempting this apparently straight forward task:

If the sensor won't budge and you can hardly get any purchase on it - chisel the top off and drill the fecker out.. You will likely have to do this anyway.

Job done now, actually turned out well - got the hole clear and cleaned up nicely, no subsequent damage and most importantly MY DASH LIGHT HAS GONE :thumbs:

Thanks for the comments :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back