Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

HELP! Warning light Take To Workshop

911DG

Evening guys

Dreaded Engine 'Warning light Take To Workshop" came on about 10 Miles ago.
Sounds a bit rough - but no other warning lights on!

Oil indicator is low and I called my Indy about 5 days ago to tell them that but they only put a load (3 liters) in it 3 weeks ago and said they would have seen if it had a leak ?? But if I check the indicator it's flashing low and I've done a 70mile round trip in it today!!!

Feels a bit 'juttery' / nasty too - not smooth as usual.

Any ideas ????? Panic stations here 😱😱😱

Cheers

Dan

My first thought was coil pack based on what you describe, but without seeing or hearing it cant be totally sure :thumb: hope its something simple to sort though low oil level indicator might not be connected

No point in guessing issue. It needs code reading to see what has triggered the light. It won't be anything to do with the oil level.

Sounds like you're going through a rake of oil! Is there not black smoke bellowing out your tailpipes.....or giant puddles of it on your drive?

Sounds quite sinister to me if you're using so much and the engines not running well. :dont know:

First thing I'd check is the oil via dipstick to see if the indicator is lying. Leave it a good ten minutes after its warmed up.

Other possibilities... air oil separator, though not sure if the 997s have the same thing as 996s. That will use a load of oil and make it run weirdly, did with mine anyway.

Probably best to take to workshop like it says, have it properly diagnosed as it could be any number of things.

Fingers crossed...

They put 3 ltrs in it but didnt find a leak ?

Thats a lot and more than the low oil message you would have got so i assume you had warning messages at that point ?

Any chance of a video ?

Does it smoke ?

Best guess .. AOS .. oil in the cylinders and a misfire due to fouled plugs .

Thats the nicest fault anyways .

I think get it into your Indy without driving too much is the best option .. like Alex .. im not happy with what you have described .

Ok thanks lads - some really good points !

There is no smoke and no oil stains on the floor so it's strange ??? Did a 200 mike trip at the weekend and it went like a dream.

No dipstick in a 997 - kinda annoying I think !!!

She's going in first thing - Indy is only 4 miles away so hopefully OK !

I've got a Vid but how do I post under the size limited ?

So.... just got the diagnosis and estimate....

Faulty hydroloc valve tappet apparently causing misfire !!!! Recommending replacing all 6 while they are there. Total cost with all parts and labour and VAT....

£1600!!!

Fkkk me. Not what I was expecting!

Ouch, but that seems like a decent price for such a job.

I'm still curious as to why the car needed 3 litres of oil a few weeks ago.

Had it leaked somewhere or had you just let it run that low. :?:

The low oil was potentially the cause of the fault. Like I said in the oil thread, it concerns me more how cars are used and maintained rather than what viscosity fully synthetic oil is used. :what:

3 litres down is running on only 65% of specification!

911DG said:
So.... just got the diagnosis and estimate....

Faulty hydroloc valve tappet apparently causing misfire !!!! Recommending replacing all 6 while they are there. Total cost with all parts and labour and VAT....

£1600!!!

Fkkk me. Not what I was expecting!

Sounds fair enough £ for that job... I was charged similar for the AOS, which cost ***** all but needed the engine out to get at.

But yes, get them to give the car a thorough check over to see what's happened to the 3L of oil.

Howdie all

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input and advice. I was skeptical due to the size of the estimate but you guys put me at ease ! They are doing it now so should be back by Wed and will look in to the oil but they are convinced no leak !

Biggest single bill I've had pretty much in 15 years of owning 4 x 911s so I guess I'm lucky!

Have a great weekend all.

Dan

Good news, still concerned that 3l is a big amount to top-up on one go!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back