Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

AC Leak

jond58

Nurburgring
I've been chasing a noise on the AC. Definitely due to it been low on gas. Used a UV light today. There is some leak showing on the top of the compressor. I replaced the condensers, two from coolpartsuk. One shows the dye all over the front of it?!?!?! I'm guessing this is the issue and I'm guessing "buy shite, buy twice"!!! Anyone suffered this before?? I'm not sure how I can document it as its dark for the UV to work but the camera flash will negate it I think

Can you wash off the dye and recheck it to find the source? Seems odd that a brand new rad would be leaking so much.

Excellent point!! Will brake cleaner remove it??

A single stone chip can cause a condensor failure im afraid no matter what brand it is .

Useing UV and the glasses then it is possible to pick up corrosion which looks like a leak .. from your desription though it does sound like its failed .

Without UV you are looking for a dark oily patch on the condensor .. the oil is the Pag oil in the system leaking out .

Actually you look for this on all the a/c pipes as well .. the connection in front of the o/s/r wheel is a known failure point .

Low a/c gass causes a whireing noise in the cabin .. temp at 19 and fan speed 3 or 4 .. give it 5 mins and you should hear it .. it stops as soon as you turn off the a/c .

EDIT after your post .. yes brake cleaner will clean it .

It's certainly low on gas. Works but noisy in the cabin and from near the windscreen passengers side. I'm going to clean it all up, run it and have a real good check round again. The condenser suppliers have emailed and said return it for a full refund. Prompt response but is that because they are fantastic at customer service or because they experience plenty of failures ?!?

To be honest .. i expect its good customer service .. no company wants a bad name and it could be down to a stone damageing the condensor .

i fit plenty of a/c condensors .. hell i did a set today .. failure rate is almost non exsistant .

If its going to go .. then it will do it on me when i pressurise the system !

Got both condensers (4 years ago) and a radiator (3.5 years ago) from coolpartsuk and they've been fine, used daily and covered 40k miles.

As Demort says - the pipe running the length of the car is most likely if your condensers are ok. The pipe starts to perforate down the full length of it. Not expensive from OPC but can be tricky fitting it.

Yes, I can't fault the prompt and polite response from them. I'm just going to clean everywhere up and have a check tomorrow on the ramp. If it's a failed condenser it's annoying but at least they're nice and easy !!

Firstly, whether your new condensor is damaged or not, fit some grilles to the front!

I fitted new condensors and then had exactly the symptoms you're describing. It was the issue with the pipe at the RHR, someone in the past probably jacked it up in the wrong place!

9Excellence managed to correct and refit the existing pipe for me and I've had no problems since.

Car went for mot today so whilst there I had a good look round. Front to rear pipe is new(ish). It still has the part number sticker on and no signs of leaks anywhere. Condenser looks like it's fractured/holed on the top piece pipe and the entire thing is covered in dye, possibly it's sprayed a mist over it. Spoke to coolparts on the phone and they were decent and honest enough. I think basically the conclusion was they import and supply a massive volume and a small percentage may fail. Can't argue with that the world ain't perfect is it!

Thats a pretty fair reply from the supplier .. annoying but honest and to the point , things do fail when new .. thats what warrenty is for ...

Wouldnt be the first time ive fitted a new part and had it fail .. Porsche parts at that .

Yes, a friend of mine owns a garage and MOT station and as he said today it happens, damned frustrating but just one of those things. I admire an honest approach from a stockist and distributor as they are, acknowledging a fault can occur instead of claiming to never sold a faulty anything! Definitely went up in my estimation rather than down!

Yes, a friend of mine owns a garage and MOT station and as he said today it happens, damned frustrating but just one of those things. I admire an honest approach from a stockist and distributor as they are, acknowledging a fault can occur instead of claiming to never sold a faulty anything! Definitely went up in my estimation rather than down!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back