Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A useful tool indeed

A paint thickness gauge. Would be a stock tool at many indys that carry out PPI's for potential buyers.

Also a standard tool at many bodyshops.

Won't work on PU bumper. Interpretation of results should be carefully considered before walking away if there is evidence of repairs and high paint thickness. Abnormal readings trigger examination of gaps, lines and welds.

just thought it seemed a handy tool for someone to look at a car initially, to rule out filler etc, i know a lot of people use magnets etc, but this thing is able to pick up factory versus new paint,

i know that ppi uses similar tools, but i assumed as he is the inventor, that its different to other devices.

i hear what you are saying about plastic bumpers.

Detailers use a much more accurate meter which measures the various layers of paint depth (laquer, paint, base) so they can judge tolerances when machine polishing. They are handy to help spot damage / resprays as the paint depths always outside of the factory tolerances. I picked one up off ebay years ago (when I used to be into detailing).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back