Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Dead battery, bonnet won't open from fusebox ...

James4444

Trainee
... and can't get to emergency release cable behind front wheel as its parked in garage.

Plus the locking wheel nut is in the boot anyway.

It's the perfect storm ...

Need to change the battery, it won't charge through cigarette lighter either.

Any ideas ??????

This is the very reason why I have made an emergency release switch on the inside , if the battery dies and can't access the front bonnet. I just a 12v miniature pocket battery to a hidden plug and it will access the solenoid to open bonnet!! 1 minute access...

J

Which 997 you got? Says in GT4s excellent thread linked above that 997.2 release buttons don't work when the car energised via the fuse box- need to use the key button.

As Robertb said you have to use the key fob buttons , you have to keep pressing them ..

So jump pack on the red tab and try that .. try that a lot as i dont have any other ideas atm !

You can get access to the engine but there is no jump post there .. you would basically have to remove the alternator to get to the power lead .

Yeah having been using the key fob (rather than switch) to no avail. have also tried other earths on the fuse box connector.

A key is also stuck in the ignition, with steering lock on, and won't come out. So pushing car out of garage isn't as easy.

Which side is the cable release on? I've assumed from rennlist its on the passenger side (for RH drive cars). Its parked too close to the wall to get a jack under to try and get the wheel arch cover off. I'd need to push it out ... on to a gravel driveway!

Ok .. in the fuse board cover is a thin rod .. thats the emergency release tool to get the key out .

On the ignition lock there is a tiny cover , pop it off with a screwdriver and use the tool to press the button and get the key out .

Then retry with a jump pack and pressing the fob buttons .. Also press the bonnet button repeatedly ..

Ive done it maybe 10 plus times before on both untill it opened .

release from memory is n/s/f for the bonnet and n/s/r for boot but its under the bumper heat sheild normally .

Fixed it ... thanks for all the help.

Firstly, got the key out easily enough.

The battery pack I was using on the fuseboard connector wasn't enough. It's a large one, had it about 10 years, its always on charge and starts my three old cars well enough in an emergency.

I wondered whether it was powerful enough. So I used the new battery which arrived today instead (incidentally, the bosch S4 one currently on offer from eurocarparts @£117) which as the silver line is supposed to be fully charged. With that I got a couple of relay type noises but not boot lid release.

So I connected my battery pack in parallel to the new battery and bingo on first try.

Makes you wonder how much juice that boot release solenoid needs ...

Anyway a few lessons learned along the way.

Thanks again for the help

What an utter nightmare, I think I would have been weeping with frustration. The assistance of the forum is a life-saver, so pleased to get to the end of this post and find a happy ending :thumbs:

With the key in the ignition it was trying to power the steering lock .. if the jump pack was low then thats where the power was going .. the system is a low current one but the lock ( ELV ) isnt ...

Hence you need the key out really :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DD77
Back