Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Seat electrics

gunner

Jacked up the front of my drivers seat over the weekend to do a small repair on the leather.

All went well until I went to lower it back down. Nothing.

Can they be manually overidden?

Prefer this option to an expensive fix, at least in the short term, as I never move the seat anyway and am still toying with the idea of some completely new seats.

gunner said:
Do any of the motors work? The connector plug may have fallen out the bottom of the seat...

gunner said:
Jacked up the front of my drivers seat over the weekend to do a small repair on the leather.

Can they be manually overidden?

Prefer this option to an expensive fix, at least in the short term, as I never move the seat anyway and am still toying with the idea of some completely new seats.

You do not state whether the drivers seat is electrically adjustable fore and aft but if is and that is not working it is now an mot failure. If there is means to adjust, it must work. If you have a vehicle where the seats are fixed permanently without adjustment they would pass.
As stated you most probably have disturbed a connector, good luck.

Motor for the front of the seat not moving in either direction. Rear still working as normal.

Fore/aft is manual.

gunner said:
Motor for the front of the seat not moving in either direction. Rear still working as normal.
I would still check that the connector is fully mated - there are no locking tabs on the plug, so it's just friction fit (rather like those on the back of the electric window switches)

Will try the connector again tonight.

If it fails to fix it, can the motor be manually shifted?

Yes, I'd done a bit of internet searching and found the info on switches, thanks.

What I need to know is whether I can move it manually if the switch can't be sorted.

First remove the seat by undoing the six hex cap screws in the seat runners - two at the back and one at the front each side.

Beware these are very soft so it is important to use the correct sized hex key and to keep it vertically aligned.

You can then unplug the electrical connector to the motor and remove the seat from the car.

To raise or lower the seat without the motor - disconnect the drive cables from the seat motor.

These are flex cables with 3mm approx square ends reminiscent of 1970's speedo drive cables.

By rotating the inner cable you can the raise or lower one side of the seat.

I used a small battery drill which I set the slip clutch ( torque sensor) on low so that when it "bottomed out" no damage would be caused.

This is then how to alter the "seat height" manually - however it is 993 so everything must work even it is never used.

So while the seat is out it is worth checking the continuity from the seat switches to help determine where the fault lies.

Thanks, that's helpful.

I had this problem a few years back. Expected an expensive fix...when I had the time and investigated it further it turned out to be a connector that had come off.
Fingers crossed yours is the same issue.

9 months of sitting slightly uncomfortably and I finally solved the problem

Under the seat doing another job and spotted a loose wire...

Pretty sure it wasn't hanging loose before but must have been detatched inside the rubber sleeve.

Ah well, avoided an expensive repair anyway.

As others have said, check connector, check the fuses (number 11? May not be remembering that correctly). Look for a bit of bare wire that may be shorting it if the fuse is blown (I had this issue).

Unfortunately I'd checked at the switch end (the end I'd been working on), but hadn't thought to check the motor end.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back