Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen 1 991 GT3 buying advice

RE the 991.1 Engine swap / warranty:
its NOT part of the std warranty; its an addition.
I've not seen any documentation at all that states you have to have a 'normal' OPC warranty on the car to avail yourself of the 10yr /120K mile engine warranty

m119cars said:
Don't know the car but wheels aside it looks nice, I know everybody is different but how someone could look at those and think it's an improvement is beyond me!

No mention in the add as to whether original exhaust is included in the sale, with the known engine issues these cars can have and how slippery Porsche can be regarding warranty claims I'd be very nervous with that exhaust on.

May be wrong but head unit looks aftermarket, which, if so, along with the 'discreet subwoofer' may hinder your chances of getting a Porsche warranty.

Yeah I am not a fan of the wheels either, spoils the car, i prefer the more standard look if I'm honest.

I emailed the dealer, it still has 6 months porsche warranty on it, its a two owner car, all the original parts come with the car, it does look a well maintained car but my concern would be once the 6 months warranty ran out would i be able to extend it or will porsche just turn it away!!

david_yorkshire said:
I've not seen any documentation at all that states you have to have a 'normal' OPC warranty on the car to avail yourself of the 10yr /120K mile engine warranty

Interesting point. Me thinks Porsche may not have thought that through? As in no one has asked that specific question yet. By addition do you mean stand alone separate?

My experience with Porsche and their extended warranty would require me to have explicit explanations with any amount of wiggle room removed to feel that they had underwritten their problem :)

Senoj said:
seanyboy said:
Does anyone know this cars and whats your thoughts on the aftermarket exhaust and wheels for warranty issues?

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi..._cars&aggregatedTrim=991 GT3&model=911&page=2

Dealer says 6 months warranty? You need to be sure what that means. With aftermarket parts it's unlikely to be a Porsche warranty. Running a 991.1 without an OPC warranty at this point in time would be a bit of a risk given that they are not immue to having multiple engine swaps.

A risk i could never afford to take, its already a major purchase without the worry of paying for repairs if they arose!

DRZ911 said:
Senoj said:
Dealer says 6 months warranty? You need to be sure what that means. With aftermarket parts it's unlikely to be a Porsche warranty. Running a 991.1 without an OPC warranty at this point in time would be a bit of a risk given that they are not immune to having multiple engine swaps.
For this very reason, would only ever buy a 991.1 GT3 from an OPC.
A reasonable number of cars available from the OPC network at this price point.

I def would much prefer to buy from an opc, just none with the spec i like seem too be coming up!!

Senoj said:
david_yorkshire said:

Interesting point. Me thinks Porsche may not have thought that through? As in no one has asked that specific question yet. By addition do you mean stand alone separate?

My experience with Porsche and their extended warranty would require me to have explicit explanations with any amount of wiggle room removed to feel that they had underwritten their problem :)

Well, I've used it twice :)

Neither one of the two engine swaps I've had had any mention of my own (paid for, Porsche) warranty - and the paperwork I've got reflects this.

And yes, its a separate standalone engine only warranty

New engine is now run in - time for some track time to stress test it !

seanyboy said:
I emailed the dealer, it still has 6 months porsche warranty on it, its a two owner car, all the original parts come with the car, it does look a well maintained car but my concern would be once the 6 months warranty ran out would i be able to extend it or will porsche just turn it away!!

If the original parts are available then you should be talking to the dealer in the context of them supplying the car in stock configuration without any aftermarket parts on it having passed an OPC 111 point check. If they will not do that then you not are interested, walk away and keep hunting. The phrase "upgraded audio system including a small discreet subwoofer" may actually make that non-viable and eliminate the car from your consideration off of the bat.

Now the warranty bit makes a pause for thought. The Porsche warranty is only transferrable if it is a private sale or from an OPC, so for you to keep that then the dealer will have to act simply as a broker between you and a private seller. So either you are buying without any come back on the dealer as if it were a person to person sale or you are buying from an independent dealer and will lose that 6 month warranty when you take ownership. If it is out of warranty then you will have to have it for 60 days then pay for an OPC check and then you will be able to put one on it.

Personally I'd disregard this one on the basis of my dislike for red instrument clusters, but if it does float your boat then there are still quite a few things to consider.

A final footnote on the extra 10 year engine warranty. Firstly, it is from delivery so it is only 6 more years on that car. Secondly that still leaves you exposed to potentially huge bills if it were to develop issues with the transmission/drivetrain, suspension (inc the electric rear steer) or the electronic/infotainment system. If this acquisition is any kind of stretch then buying without an OPC warranty is - fundamentally - brave.

The standing consensus of advice is consistently that the 991.1 GT3 is simply not a car to own at this time unless covered by an OPC warranty. :thumb:

Colin has the best bit of advise I've seen :

The standing consensus of advice is consistently that the 991.1 GT3 is simply not a car to own at this time unless covered by an OPC warranty.

My sentiments exactly.
Its the only Pork I've owned that when out of manufacturers warranty period I've bought the extension.

Disco said:
seanyboy said:

If the original parts are available then you should be talking to the dealer in the context of them supplying the car in stock configuration without any aftermarket parts on it having passed an OPC 111 point check. If they will not do that then you not are interested, walk away and keep hunting. The phrase "upgraded audio system including a small discreet subwoofer" may actually make that non-viable and eliminate the car from your consideration off of the bat.

Now the warranty bit makes a pause for thought. The Porsche warranty is only transferrable if it is a private sale or from an OPC, so for you to keep that then the dealer will have to act simply as a broker between you and a private seller. So either you are buying without any come back on the dealer as if it were a person to person sale or you are buying from an independent dealer and will lose that 6 month warranty when you take ownership. If it is out of warranty then you will have to have it for 60 days then pay for an OPC check and then you will be able to put one on it.

Personally I'd disregard this one on the basis of my dislike for red instrument clusters, but if it does float your boat then there are still quite a few things to consider.

A final footnote on the extra 10 year engine warranty. Firstly, it is from delivery so it is only 6 more years on that car. Secondly that still leaves you exposed to potentially huge bills if it were to develop issues with the transmission/drivetrain, suspension (inc the electric rear steer) or the electronic/infotainment system. If this acquisition is any kind of stretch then buying without an OPC warranty is - fundamentally - brave.

The standing consensus of advice is consistently that the 991.1 GT3 is simply not a car to own at this time unless covered by an OPC warranty. :thumb:

Thanks for taking the time to respond Colin, its greatly appreciated.

Its a bit of a minefield to me, I've never owned a Porsche or purchased a car of that value but now I am in the position the advice I am receiving is very much needed, you have raised a lot of points which I would never think of so thank you.

My concerns about the Gen 1 car and mainly the engine is making me question whether its the car for me and I am now considering a GT4 until the day I can possibly afford a Gen 2 GT3 and the premiums, possibly never.

I am hoping to get a drive in both cars in the next week or two, i doubt I'll be disappointed and no doubt favour the GT3 :?:

Unless the right car comes up at an OPC and preferably the one closest to me i will look more at the GT4, that way i can keep hold of one of my other cars that would need to go to fund the GT3.

I bought a GT3 a couple months ago and it is an amazing machine, the 10 year warranty is standard on all cars I believe, irrespective of who has bought it or sold it. These are very strong, well built car and one of the best cars you will ever drive.

The sensible approach would be to have a 111 point check carried out by Porsche for peace of mind, and then put the Porsche warranty on, then you have no worries

Try not to be spooked too much as you will never buy one, these are not as risky as you are made to believe

m119cars said:
https://www.jzmporsche.com/used-vehicle-details/Porsche-911-U1448/

I think this might be worth a look, wouldn't hang around though as I don't imagine it will be available for long.
Great spec of 2015 car in a gorgeous stand-out colour. :thumb:

DRZ911 said:
m119cars said:

I think this might be worth a look, wouldn't hang around though as I don't imagine it will be available for long.
That'll be gone within a week, if not by the weekend!

squelch said:
DRZ911 said:
m119cars said:

That'll be gone within a week, if not by the weekend!
Showing as reserved already! That was never exactly going to gather dust. Did the OP buy it...??? :?:

The JZM car is described as "paint to sample" yet also says Riviera Blue?

I thought the GT range of cars were nominated Gt colours and no pts was available?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back