Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Reviewing Fabspeed carbon competition induction kit 997.2

Phil 997

My mobile Porsche tech made the mistake of popping in to have a coffee with me and I persuaded him to fit this for me as it had just arrived.
With the gen1 I had always been an advocate of staying with the OE airbox and fitting a sports filter and res plug hose kit , as after much research I found the OE airbox was the only true cold air induction available .

But after getting my gen2 and upon investigating finding huge envelope sized vents in the bottom of the airbox with just a mesh cover to allow rain water to drain away I came to the conclution that the gen2 OE airbox cannot be true cold air intake as was the gen1 ,So an option to mod reared its head :grin: after reading that Fabspeed had carried out temp comparisons between the air in an OE gen2 airbox and their duel cone competition kit and found it to be the same (this did not surprise me given the huge water drains in the OE one) I decided that it might be time to see what this type of mod would do if anything .as I was considering this as luck would have it a used gen2 one was listed on here (thanks Carl) well that must be fate and I am supposed to try it I thought
so I grabbed it. even more fate the member selling was due to do a job several days later only a mile or so from where I live. So we arranged to meet .
Anyway its now fitted and this is my initial thoughts .
Its very well made and very light the duel cone carbon twin feed is a piece of art , the Carbon heat shield is a bit flimzy and could have been better made but with some tweaking I am confident it will be good , the reason I say this is when the engine twists at speed I can hear a little rattle what I plan to do is to remove the heat shield add a layer of some form of padding between where it sits and the chassis it sits on ,also it fixes in place using two of the bolts for the engine mounts again a couple of rubber washers will be put between it and the mount , I also plan to fit something like the plastic rim protectors across the top and cut them down to fit this should stop any contact between the engine bay lid and the carbon heat shield .
the duel cone section as I said is very well made and is held in place by several jubilee clips holding it to the throttle body so it is free to move with the engine the gen2 duel intake ducts sit nicely above the cone filters, as I have forward facing intake scoops I antisipate a ram air effect will happen .
So I took it for a good run today and found a couple of sections of private road :) where I was able to test it up to 130mph . these are my thoughts the car feels more freely reving than the oe airbox with a BMC filter which was already far better than with a stock filter. it feels quicker in the low power band and feels like it gets there with much less effort. It seems that the increase in airflow must be increasing gas exit as the exhaust note has changed slightly even without the extra induction howl when you boot it, Another observation which I have yet to fathom out (ideas welcome) my cargraphic full valved exhaust the valved set up was connected by a small tube to the gen2 resinator box which is under the airbox this has now been blanked off with the new set up . So was my valved set up working like PSE and opening and closing slightly with the revs as well as full open and close on the key fob , is it now always open like the carnwal bypass and does this account for the slightly different exhaust note , there always were lots of crackles and pops with this exhaust but there seem to be even more now :grin: :thumb: over all it has exceeded my personal expectations as I genuinly was expecting more sound but not a noticable improvement in performance.
But I must note that I have a full cargraphic sports exhaust with 200 cell cats and an IPD plennum set up ,so it may or may not be the same for others :dont know: this was the last thing on my list to do before my final modification of my remap in my chase for more BHP than a stock GTS and hopefully a better power curve :grin: :grin:

Attachments

• img_1463_163.jpg
    img_1463_163.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2,452
  • img_2609_666.jpg
    img_2609_666.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 2,452
  • img_2610_130.jpg
    img_2610_130.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,452
Looks great Phil :thumb:

This would be a good solution for me so I can put my wing back on! I have the Agency Power dual cone set up, but it ruined my fuelling and the ECU just couldn't cope. Real shame as I loved the induction howl!

Maybe the Cargraphic exhaust just takes the vacuum from the resonator box on the vacuum side so would be unaffected by the workings of the resonator :dont know:

Thats an interesting thought Rob re the valved unit just using the vacuum from the res , thanks mate.
So what happened with the Agency power set up you had and why couldnt it cope whats different between that and this one IYO :thumb:

Thefinn said:
Looking good Phil and there is always more room for a bit more crackle and pop :thumb:

Thanks mate totally agree :grin: its the snap we dont like :floor: :thumb:

Gen2 Air filter case

Hi Phil
That Fab speed setup looks very nice. With regard to your original air box.
Are there any mods that can be done to increase the noise or performance?
Have seen the vents in the base of the box could these be enlarged would there be any noticeable difference

Paul

Re: Gen2 Air filter case

kaypaul said:
Hi Phil
That Fab speed setup looks very nice. With regard to your original air box.
Are there any mods that can be done to increase the noise or performance?
Have seen the vents in the base of the box could these be enlarged would there be any noticeable difference

Paul

Hi Paul, if your running a stock airbox and filter , then you really must get a set of BMC oval sports filters for yours , you will notice how much better the car breaths and revs more freely , also a nice induction howl when your pressing on .

this is what you want but have a look around for the best price

http://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod8175/BMC-Air-Filter-for-Porsche-997-FB550-08/

I wouldnt play around with the underside drain vents in the airbox they are already too big lol and you dont want more warm air in the engine , cold air = more BHP.

unfortunaitly thats the only addition to the stock airbox available , I was going to send the corrigated hose that connects the airbox to the throttlebody to SAMCO for them to design a smooth silicon option like the gen1 option . but dont need to now but the option to work with Samco and develop a gen2 smooth silicon hose is there for anyone who wants to as there is no doubt that corrigated soft hose will be creating turbulance on the induction and slowing the air intake. personally considering these cars are now 10 years old I am amazed no one has already done this as it works so well on the gen1.
the resinator is on the underside of the airbox how easy to modify and any potential sound gains I havent investigated .

hope that helps mate :thumb: :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
Thats an interesting thought Rob re the valved unit just using the vacuum from the res , thanks mate.
So what happened with the Agency power set up you had and why couldnt it cope whats different between that and this one IYO :thumb:

To be honest I have no idea Phil! My guess was that the greater airflow was too much for the ECU to cope with, I know it can adjust fuelling to cope with varying conditions, but only within a set range, I think this is about 15% from what it expects to see, maybe the Agency Power filters were too free flowing! I did have to modify the Y tube slightly, cut and re-weld, because it was a Gen2 fitment and the throttle body position is slightly different to the Gen1. This might have affected something but unlikely, the position of the MAF was pretty much the same.

Maybe I will try blanking the tube off slightly to see if it makes a difference. Did yours run perfectly from first fit, or did it take a little while for the fuelling to settle down?

DucatiRob said:
Phil 997 said:

To be honest I have no idea Phil! My guess was that the greater airflow was too much for the ECU to cope with, I know it can adjust fuelling to cope with varying conditions, but only within a set range, I think this is about 15% from what it expects to see, maybe the Agency Power filters were too free flowing! I did have to modify the Y tube slightly, cut and re-weld, because it was a Gen2 fitment and the throttle body position is slightly different to the Gen1. This might have affected something but unlikely, the position of the MAF was pretty much the same.

Maybe I will try blanking the tube off slightly to see if it makes a difference. Did yours run perfectly from first fit, or did it take a little while for the fuelling to settle down?

Hi Rob ran perfectly from the off mate , so much so I had forgotten the ECU would need to relearn the new paramiters :oops: . yes the throttle body direction is slightly different on the gen2 . how did you overcome the oil filler tube as theres no cut out for it on the gen2 heat shield as the gen2 oil filler is a short thing with an extender tube fitted. mine is already remapped for the IPD so maybe thats how it handled the extra airflow , had yours been remapped or were you running a stock ECU, I always run it on Vmax as well .
its strange as they are supposed to be plug and play. my only observation is if you look at the size of the cones on mine and then look at the size of the cones on the same thing but for a gen1 they do look a little smaller , the gen2 throttle body is the same size as the gen1 GT3 TB . not sure if any of that is relevent but thought I would mention my opservations as it may help identlfy a fix for yours. :thumb:

Attachments

• 996_carrera_comp_intake_product_manual_40578144313143112801280_172.jpg
    996_carrera_comp_intake_product_manual_40578144313143112801280_172.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 2,223
  • img_2610_754.jpg
    img_2610_754.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2,223

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member