Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997 Gen 2 sat nav map update Exeter OPC £334 !! bargain.

Quote from OPC Silverstone last week, that's with other work being carried out - out of principal i don't think i can bring myself to do it.

Nav Update Parts Price £216.00

Nav Update Labour Price - £132.00

Totalling: £348.00

FRP said:
Waze is great....Does it work OK outside of the UK tho ? Anyone with experience overseas?

Works perfectly fine outside the uk (certainly in mainland Europe) you just need a data connection.

I'd been considering what to do with the PCM 2.1 on my 997.1. I had thought of getting the Dension 500BT so I have Bluetooth/DAB and also iPod connection, but I;d still be stuck with the crappy 2.1 nav which, frankly is way out of date.

For not too much more than £550 you can covert to a very good Kenwood unit.

I'm guessing I lose the functions of the trip computer, but what else?

I've found a combination of apple watch and apple maps works well, seems to have a very good traffic function.

Obviously do any route programming when parked up :cop: as the voice text recognition is a bit hit and miss.

weebz said:
FRP said:
Waze is great....Does it work OK outside of the UK tho ? Anyone with experience overseas?

Works perfectly fine outside the uk (certainly in mainland Europe) you just need a data connection.
When you use Waze, if you're connected via Bluetooth will the instructions come through the speakers? Since upgrading to a Samsung S7 I've noticed that WhatsApp now comes through and uses the incar audio facilities.

FZP said:
weebz said:
FRP said:

When you use Waze, if you're connected via Bluetooth will the instructions come through the speakers? Since upgrading to a Samsung S7 I've noticed that WhatsApp now comes through and uses the incar audio facilities.

Yes, does using my iphone :thumb:

alex yates said:
As a bench mark, I fit an Xtrons double din unit running on Android for £140....

What unit did you fit? I've got a friend at work who had just bought a 997 Gen1 and is looking at options.

To be fair to OPC Exeter its not them trying to rip you off

As Demort says , its a pain in the ass job,
You have to update the PCM software to version 2.4 or above, that takes about 10 minutes

then you load 4 more discs that take about 45 minutes each, you put the car on battery charger , load the disc, come back in an hour, check its uploaded, then load the next, if it hasn't loaded you start from scratch.
Remember 997 Gen 2 and 991 have a Hard Disc Drive PCM unit, hence why you cant use second hand discs, or the Vauxhall sourced Navteq discs that you could use in a 996/ 997 gen 1.

Porsche are very crafty in that you could reuse the software discs, but you need an unlocking code / product key which is vin number specific, so each update has a new set of discs with a use once only product key.

When they introduced the update, Porsche reduced the price from £350 ish to about £160 for a limited time offer, that offer went on for 3 or 4 years.

Then about 12 months ago, Porsche increased the price up to £330 ish.

The dealership has a half an hours labour in that price to do the work, the rest is the 'parts price' that Porsche control.
From memory the OPC pay about £230 plus vat for the upgrade discs

I ve had the update done to all the cars I ve sold since the price went down to £150, and will be having the £330 update done to all my cars as they come in, hence my knowledge on the subject.

To be fair to OPC Exeter, they have 2 new service advisors who probably weren't aware of the old pricing structure,
I will have a word with the girls next week and inform them of how it used to work and how and why the price has changed.

mark pearce said:
I ve had the update done to all the cars I ve sold since the price went down to £150, and will be having the £330 update done to all my cars as they come in, hence my knowledge on the subject.

You Sir are doing what No OPC im aware of does ... :worship:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrew bulloch7
Back