Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Visit to Center Gravity - Jan 20th / Updated March

A Center Gravity geo was the first thing on my list after I bought my 911. Amazing attention to detail and superb peace of mind that what I had bought was sound! Tweaking the geo has resulted in a wonderfully balanced car with a sharper turn in, perfect for those high days and holidays.

This should be very high on anyone's list who wants to extract the best from their car.

They are brilliant at what they do and deserve all the praise they get .

Also they are good guys and go out of their way to help .

Hoping to get my car booked in shortly once I've fitted my coilovers and M030 roll bars.

One question I have - lot's of people saying they identify worn parts and replace them. That's great, but I like to get maximum VFM and generally do all the work on my car myself. Is it possible to go away, replace the parts yourself and then get the geo finished another day?

I'm reluctant to pay someone else's labour and possibly expensive part prices (if they only have genuine porsche parts) when it's work I could do myself.

They're pretty understanding and not pushy. If something is dangerous they advise accordingly. Generally really nice guys and a pleasure to deal with.

The one thing I would say - you don't go to Center Gravity because you want a cheap job. There are places which are way way cheaper and will probably do ok. Their attitude is that you want to get the absolute best out of your car. This might result in advice to replace parts which are slightly worn that other garages and MOT testers wouldn't even notice.

Armagreggon85 said:
Hoping to get my car booked in shortly once I've fitted my coilovers and M030 roll bars.

One question I have - lot's of people saying they identify worn parts and replace them. That's great, but I like to get maximum VFM and generally do all the work on my car myself. Is it possible to go away, replace the parts yourself and then get the geo finished another day?

I'm reluctant to pay someone else's labour and possibly expensive part prices (if they only have genuine porsche parts) when it's work I could do myself.

Would recommend you ask? And let us know how you get on? :thumbs:

Armagreggon85 said:

Yes they are fine with you doing this. On my diagnostic visit they pointed out some things which needed to be replaced, I did some myself (eg brake discs and pads) and left some of the parts, eg coffin arms up to them. They were fine with that - very relaxed - I think they cater primarily for road car enthusiasts so are used to people who want to do some of the work themselves .

As G-996 said, they are more than happy for you to replace bits yourself. How it worked for me is that they gave my suspension the full checkup. They identified which bits were worn and needed replacement, and identified where the geo was out.

It was entirely up to me what I wanted to do. I could have gone way, replaced the worn bits myself, and even had somewhere else play with the geo if I wanted.

I decided that rather than me spend hours trying to replace parts with seized bolts/adjusters and probably encountering additional problems, id just pay them to do it as I have better things to spend my time on.

As it was, as they replace so many of these bits, they knew exactly what socket size the bolts were, which tools they needed etc. They encountered some issues with seized adjusters so had to torch one to loosen it, and cut another off. But even so, they replaced the worn parts miles quicker than I could have.

Thanks guys that sounds ideal.

I'm happy to pay for expertise if it's something i can't do, or if a part is worn I'm happy to replace it - i just like to make sure that im efficient with my spending.

Like you say, when I'm there I'll have to weigh up the costs vs convenience of having someone do it for me in a much shorter time. I do detest rusty old bolts!!

Looks like the car is getting booked in early/mid May

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe-nee-g
Back