Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Power distributor pin replacement 997 .

deMort

Monaco
For 997 / 987 .

Remove battery leads and clamp and slide the battery to the o/s .

Long screwdriver and push the red tab down about 3-4 mm .

Move the battery lead whilst useing a screwdriver to move it outwards and off of the pin , depending on just how corroded it is will depend on the size of screwdriver and working upto lever bars that will be needed.

Undo the x2 13 mm nuts .

Inside the car and i was lucky here , Targa/cab can have the bose speaker in the n/s/f footwell .. removeing this makes life a lot easier .

The Power box is fitted behind the heater box which in turn cant be removed unless the dash is out .. we have to struggle a bit to get it out.

If possible raise the carpet to give a little more clerance .. its more of a struggle if you cant do this .

The box has to be slide sideways behind the a/c drain .. its tight here .. you can remove the tube if it helps .. i didnt here as i had enough room.

The box wont come all the way out , cover is clipped in place at both top corners and you cut the green tape , lid is on pivots , you dont need to remove it .

Undo the 13mm nut and tap the thread , back of a screwdriver is plenty enough and it will fall out .

The new pin will then just push in .

Reassemble in reverse but make sure you have it to the o/s beind the a/c drain as this is the only place you will be able to get it above the bar in the picture .. pin and fixings hit it.

New pin is now a bolt and the lead will bolt onto it .

The old lead has a single wire attached , you cut this and either clamp the new wire to it or you use the supplyed lead which runs to the abs cu .. this isnt easy as you have to somehow get it through the bulkhead .. old wire is inside the harness.

i just cut the old lead and crimp on the new one .

Attachments

• pin_removal_183.jpg
    pin_removal_183.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 11,619
  • box_removed_518.jpg
    box_removed_518.jpg
    373.9 KB · Views: 11,618
  • removal_187.jpg
    removal_187.jpg
    480.6 KB · Views: 11,615
  • ve_lead_pin_211.jpg
    ve_lead_pin_211.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 11,618
  • battery_lead_128.jpg
    battery_lead_128.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 11,616
  • battery_slid_over_192.jpg
    battery_slid_over_192.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 11,619

Attachments

• old_lead_141.jpg
    old_lead_141.jpg
    394.6 KB · Views: 11,602
  • old_lead_and_cover_109.jpg
    old_lead_and_cover_109.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 11,600
Just a short note to revive this thread...

Its obviously a known fault with these cars, as there is a tech bulletin sent out in the states about it & a kit produced to repair it with the bulkhead pin threaded at both ends...

I might add that it doesn't come cheap. Apparently the kit comes in two parts, the cable & the pin it's self. Both at over £140 each.

Personally, I'm going to look at threading the existing pin as it is an 8mm Diameter & either put a crimp terminal on the existing cable, or buy the new cable to replace it.

Looking at it, i think the main problem with the existing connector is the sprung internals of it must get tired & that combined with any corrosion obviously creates a high resistance.
What was wrong with a simple eye terminal & threaded pin in the first place?

Attachments

• db_pin2_159.png
    db_pin2_159.png
    426.6 KB · Views: 10,734
  • db_pin1_233.png
    db_pin1_233.png
    367.4 KB · Views: 10,732
The modified type goes back to a thread and 13mm nut .. far more sensible than the free to twist effort of the original design .

The pin is chrome plated from new but corrodes along with the power lead to the point that sometimes they seize solid .

Its a problem but not a huge one .. ive not seen one in about a year now .

You think its expensive .. trust me the original replacement was a complete power board !

Biggest headache is getting the power board down far enough so you can remove the pin .. slowly slowly is best here work it towards the center consol , you have to get the pin over a bodywork bar so you are pushing the board against the wiring to move it far enough .

Regarding this, would it be possible to remove the nut on the inside & pull the pin out instead of removing the whole distribution box?

On the image below you undo the 13mm nut then knock the pin out .. the hard part of the job is actually getting the Power box to the point shown in the picture .

You have no access to it in situe and you also have to get the cover off of the box .. again not possible unless its dropped down .

I struggled the first time i did one and have had to help one of the guys i work with to get one out as well .

Attachments

• pin_removal_183_189.jpg
    pin_removal_183_189.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 10,489
To add to this one, I found the job reasonably easy to to remove using the previous guide, Thanks Demort! :thumb:

I have access to a small lathe, so cut an M8 thread on the original pin.
I also removed the plastic cover from the battery terminal connector & re-fitted it without the cover.

The original cable has a ring terminal fitted with the tube connector pressed into it. I was able to press it through a bit farther so it would go all the way on to the original pin, allowing me to fit the 8mm nut on the outside creating a good solid connection.

As you will see in the pictures, the original pin is long enough to add a nut on the end once the connector if fully pressed in.

I finished with the original outer half of the plastic cover cable tied in place just to cover the exposed connection.

From a mechanical perspective, the original connector was engineered, whereas a mechanic would more likely have simply fitted a crimp in the first place!

Attachments

• fitted_171.jpg
    fitted_171.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 10,330
  • test_fit_549.jpg
    test_fit_549.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 10,329
  • modified_pin_265.jpg
    modified_pin_265.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 10,328
Hi Clanky,
I am going to do similar to you great job, the price for the replacement is just ridiculous.

What size is the crimped ring terminal hope that makes sense .

Cheers Iain :worship:

is the wire 8mm diameter

ok .. im not totally sure on the wire diameter ... so what we would do at work is order one each side of what we thought ..

My guess .. and im not paying if its wrong :p ..

10mm
8mm
x1

order one each side of that to be sure .. i think it will be 10 mm though .

8mm refers to the internal diameter of the hole that goes over the bolt .

Can i just confirm .. you actually have a problem .. ? if the pin is not corroded as mentioned above then this replacement will gain you nothing .

Cheers Iain,
Im looking forward to this little project ,it should be a lot easier than my headlight washer wiring epic if you remember lol.

:thumb:

lol .. yup ..

Ill point out .. the bigest headache with this job is actually removeing the power box .. it wont come down very far so tight for space but the dam thing gets hooked up on the carpet and a bar on the bulkhead .

Porsche instructions just say remove it .. they dont know ***** to be honest .. typical crap from them in that they dont know how to do something so just say remove it !!

I know .. im ranting .. dam Porsche instructions are a joke at times .. sigh .

if you have trouble then slide it towards the center consol .. best way out i have found . .. and some are harder than others :dont know:

To reiterate though .. if you dont have a problem or a corroded pin then you dont need to do this .. you wont gain anything from it .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back