Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

C4 handling in the wet

icekay

Trainee
Short intro - all of my previous cars were FWD (last one a Megane RS265), and have only owned the 911 for a couple of months, so it goes without saying that I've barely started on this learning curve.

Unless I'm driving something with 150bhp I don't fancy finding out where car limits are on a public road, so the most I'd learnt until recently was a slightly more "vague" front end than I was used to, on turn in.
I therefore took the opportunity to do a short taster session at Silverstone over the weekend, and the track being wet it was the perfect opportunity to safely explore the limits a little bit.

I found that as long as I didn't carry too much speed into a corner, grip overall was pretty decent (tyres are RE050A with plenty of tread). However if speed into or mid corner went past the grip threshold, the front would initially wash out but as soon as grip came back, the rear instantly snapped out.
At this point I imagine that applying some throttle might have helped matters and perhaps provided me with sufficient grip to increase cornering speed, but in all honesty I found the thought a bit daunting to try on my first time out on track (I'm no racing driver).

I also had the car on Sport/auto (PDK) which meant engine speed wasn't always ideal round the corners, I do have Sport+ but wasn't sure how much more I'd be on my own as I understand the electronics get more relaxed.

I'm not sure if this is common to all 911s or just the C4, but would love some tips that I could try if I ever decide to give it another go. Sadly instruction wasn't available on the day, but to be honest I'd be more keen to learn how the car handles on the limit, rather than the lines to take round the track.

Just wondering if you were lifting off the gas mid bend or not?

I'm no track expert, but I read that in extremis it's best to let a C4 with PSM work it all out rather than try to correct it yourself.

It may also be worth getting the geo checked properly if you have not to make sure that the wheels are pointing where they should.

Lift off oversteer can catch you out if you go in too hot - the car starts to understeer as you are going too fast so you back off and rear comes around. Catches many 911 novices out.

Trick with 2 or 4WD 911 is slow in fast out. Being a rear engine car you can get the power down much earlier than other cars and avoid power oversteer, particularly in the wet.

Once you get better the next trick to master (track only) is trail braking to tuck the nose in at turn in, avoid initial understeer.

Better still get some expert tuition.

Lift off oversteer can catch you out if you go in too hot - the car starts to understeer as you are going too fast so you back off and rear comes around. Catches many 911 novices out.

Trick with 2 or 4WD 911 is slow in fast out. Being a rear engine car you can get the power down much earlier than most out cars and avoid power oversteer, particularly in the wet.

Once you get better the next trick to master (track only) is trail braking to tuck the nose in at turn in, avoid initial understeer.

I know the C4 is probably a little less direct on turn in that than the C2 but if the front end feels vague I would get the geo checked out. One of the things I love about the 911 is how much feedback there is from the front end.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

First couple of times I definitely caused it by carrying a bit too much speed and partially lifting off. Mostly though I managed to keep it under constant load throughout the corners, but as the front momentarily lost/regained grip, the balance was upset enough that I had to apply a bit of lock else I'm sure it would have spun out.

I know it was wet but the car did seem a bit skittish / did not fill me with loads of confidence to explore the handling further. I definitely think tuition will be a good investment, but the geo recommendation is a good shout and definitely something on the cards.

The car was great round faster bends and the brakes were mega, it was the sharper corners I found challenging.

drmark said:

Trick with 2 or 4WD 911 is slow in fast out. Being a rear engine car you can get the power down much earlier than most out cars and avoid power oversteer, particularly in the wet.

Yep bang on, drive it like a motorbike.

Unless you really know what your dong of which I do not

+1 for slow in/fast out

I find you can get on the power much earlier than anything with the engine at the front whichever wheels are driven, takes a while to figure it out though

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ahab
Back