Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Early 997 gearbox oil

yacht broker

I've been working through my 2005 997 3.6 giving it a proper mid-life spruce-up. I recently had the gearbox oil changed using Porsche supplied fluids. The car has a SSK fitted and since the oil was changed, it is noticeably more difficult to change into 1st and 2nd gear when the car is cold. The general feel of the gearshift is also not as nice as it was before.

I'm pretty sure that the all the oil choices for the car are 75w90, so would it be worth switching this oil out for some Millers CRX 75w90 NT+? I have Millers engine oil and this has made a big difference to the engine (which has had a rebuild).

I know the early 997 1st/2nd syncros are notoriously rubbish and i also know that Porsche tend to spec fluids better suited to new cars than 12yr old cars.

Car is back at the garage having a few other things sorted (rear suspension, engine mounts, inner door seals etc etc), so if it's worth swapping out the oil, i can order some in today.

cheers

Many advocate redline as the best to use , personally I used the millers you posted about,
The were some very very interesting comments on a recent thread about overfill or even just haveing the fil at max causing stiff gear selection, worth checking that they havent done this , mine is in Thurs and I am doing the same just getting them to remove just a little oil as my 1st and 2nd if stiffer than it was and thats with using the millers I have an SSK as well . :thumb:

I had the Millers option when I had my fluid chance at my indy and the box feels fine. At cold temps it is a little stiff, but soon lightens up when the fluid is at operating temp. I've been using Millers for years and at MOT time i get excellent emissions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jons123
Back