Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Oil Leak - concerned... Update, coolant, water pump culprit

Water pumps tend to go 40 to 50k usually bearings.

The expansion tank can crack over time and can be difficult to pinpoint. It's not a big job at an Indy. Otherwise it may be a hose. The glue deteriorates leading to leaks.

FRZ 911 said:
teddy34 said:
infrasilver said:
Best to check the pump just in case, remove the auxiliary belt and give the water pump pulley a wiggle.

I'll give this a go and see what happens, bloody thing :-/ thanks for your help on this!

For what it's worth I had very similar symptoms when my water pump let go a few years back. The coolant getting on to the exhaust created quite a cloud in the rear view mirror at the lights and what looked like a swimming pool once I managed to get parked. :roll: if it's the pump then it looks like yours hasn't totally given up the ghost quite yet but is getting there......

When I started to read Teddy's symptoms I straight away thought about that post of yours over xmas a couple of years back on your way to Ireland sounded just the same , so hopefully not a major issue for him to get sorted. :thumb:

Hi Phil,

Good memory mate. It was Christmas Eve evening in Belfast. Talk about perfect timing! Lol. :roll: :D

So AW are fully booked for a while, and I need the car ASAP. As I've got the week off and am fairly handy with a set of spanners the guys over there have said I should give it a go. I'm going to do the low temp thermostat at the same time, as I've read good things. I will post back my findings after removing the rear bumpers and drive belt. I've read a few good write ups on both the thermostat and the water pump, and Design911 seem to have all the parts I will need.

Already done the A/C condensers, front rad fans, oil pressure gauge and a few other little bits on this one but this is my first attempt at anything to do with the engine, so I will take it slow and see how it goes.

Water pump was the culprit!!!

Thank you to all the replies on this thread, 3 days of intermittent working on the car (after my Indy said I should give it a go!) and we're all back together working ok (touch wood). I replaced the thermostat with a low temp thermostat, replaced the water pump (which indeed as above wobbled when the belt was off), replaced all the rusted to hell exhaust bolts with new stainless steel ones, 4 new baskets, and a generally tidy up of the engine bay and good to go. My dremel is my new best friend, and it's helped me realise how accessible most parts of the engine are on these.

Thanks again, I will certainly be posting for useful information on here again in the future!!

Good to hear you're sorted. :thumbs:

Nice one Teddy and Cudos for DIY. glad it was a simple issue to sort :thumb: :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thatandywhite
Back