Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 Third muffler/silencer Bypass pipes, supplier list

My man mind is struggling to understand the benefits of fitting a pipe the same shape as the original mess up :dont know:

Surely crossover pipes must be the way to go :?

spongebob squarepants said:
My man mind is struggling to understand the benefits of fitting a pipe the same shape as the original mess up :dont know:

Strictly speaking the crossover pipe is a more direct route for the gases to flow, but flowing through "U" bend of this diameter is hardly restrictive - it's more about the sound deadening in the silencer being eliminated. And it's hardly fudge being pushed through the pipes!!

Having spent many years sourcing machined and fabricated parts and assemblies for aerospace and motorsport, I think the prices for some of the crossover pipes is pretty steep- I can understand paying strong money for a full system, but for a couple of bent pipes some of the prices quoted are just obscene.

Interestingly the Topgear product is the only one I've seen which has a small link tube connecting each side of the "U" - presumably further reducing back pressure.

squelch said:
spongebob squarepants said:

Strictly speaking the crossover pipe is a more direct route for the gases to flow, but flowing through "U" bend of this diameter is hardly restrictive - it's more about the sound deadening in the silencer being eliminated. And it's hardly fudge being pushed through the pipes!!

Having spent many years sourcing machined and fabricated parts and assemblies for aerospace and motorsport, I think the prices for some of the crossover pipes is pretty steep- I can understand paying strong money for a full system, but for a couple of bent pipes some of the prices quoted are just obscene.

Interestingly the Topgear product is the only one I've seen which has a small link tube connecting each side of the "U" - presumably further reducing back pressure.

I think your right my cargraphic does have a join pipe on the X as well but they are even too silly a price to list on here lol . The idea so I was told was to add a merge collector this helps with back pressure and gives some very nice crackles and pops on overrun as the gasses merge :thumb: :thumb:

FZP said:
I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.

I posted this email I received from Porsche GB in January 2016.

Dear Mr H,

Thank you for your time earlier today, as requested please see the below content.

Porsche Warranty guidelines stipulate that the addition of any after market parts added to the vehicle will cause the warranty on that particular system to be void, in this case the exhaust system.

I must also advise that if you wish to extend your warranty further this will not be possible as the addition of the after market part will not meet the criteria of our Porsche 111 Point Check.

I understand the above may be met with disappointment but provides a clear understanding of Porsches position.

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited."

Kind regards

Lloyd Harries
Customer Assistance Advisor
Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited
[email protected]
Tel: 0118 919 1744

This clearly clarifies that only the exhaust system will be excluded for warranty purposes, as opposed to my OPC's view that it would be totally voided!

This was just before I had the SharkWerks by-pass fitted to my GTS...

Perfect John , Thats the letter we were refering too, thanks for reposting it :thumb: :thumb:

I love my Fabspeed X pipe :bandit:
Really howls around 4K revs.

My gen1 with PSE , CAI induction tube and BMC filter was louder most of the time , but it was a manual car, so tended to drive in the lower gears :grin:

Good to read that letter from Porsche ...

Thanks a lot John. I have forwarded this to Porsche Leicester. Will update when I get a response from them.

John H said:
FZP said:
I wish I could find the thread where someone said they had confirmation from Porsche GB stating that the bypass wouldn't void the warranty.

I posted this email I received from Porsche GB in January 2016.

Dear Mr H,

Thank you for your time earlier today, as requested please see the below content.

Porsche Warranty guidelines stipulate that the addition of any after market parts added to the vehicle will cause the warranty on that particular system to be void, in this case the exhaust system.

I must also advise that if you wish to extend your warranty further this will not be possible as the addition of the after market part will not meet the criteria of our Porsche 111 Point Check.

I understand the above may be met with disappointment but provides a clear understanding of Porsches position.

Thank you for contacting Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited."

Kind regards

Lloyd Harries
Customer Assistance Advisor
Porsche Cars Great Britain Limited
[email protected]
Tel: 0118 919 1744

This clearly clarifies that only the exhaust system will be excluded for warranty purposes, as opposed to my OPC's view that it would be totally voided!

This was just before I had the SharkWerks by-pass fitted to my GTS...

Was there any follow up from Porsche Leicester on the letter from Reading. Going to show to my OPC tomorrow.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back