Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Spark plug change/ Gen 2 turbo/ warranty ?

A tiny bit of ally grease on the threads is best .

NGK do actually state no lubricant of any type is to be used on its plugs .. Porsche fit Bosch and ive not seen a similar claim from them .

Spark plugs have a crush washer that locks them in place so they dont need to be very tight .. the grease is there to help get them out the next time .

Gen 2 / DFI engines and its Important to have them replaced at 4 years .. the plugs go into the cylinder and as such part of the threads carbons up .

They can be a bit of a struggle to get out at 4 years .. i had to do one at 6 years .. 4 of the plugs Didnt come out .. i thought it would strip the thread and as it was a one day job i didnt continue .

Fixed it on another day though with a different method .

Yeah thats fair Dermot.

I probably wouldn't be using a copper grease though. Something more suited to alloy, Id imagine a nickel spec.

These were mine in the pic below after removal. They were dry coming out! - But all round look pretty healthy...Worth doing coil packs while you're in there. I refreshed all 6 of mine, don't want to be taking it all apart again if one goes :lol:

Attachments

• img_1568_435.jpg
    img_1568_435.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4,219
I guess its down to personnel preference , ive always done it but back in the day you had to .

I did it at OPC as well as most of the guys there .. in theory you dont have to but as all mechanics have had siezed plugs at one time or another then its just something we do .. anything that helps in the long run is worth doing :)

Your plugs are certainly dry and actually not that worn for 6 years .. drive it more ;)

Yeah i'm all for that.

Just abit, It had hardly been driven before my ownership, 1000 miles a year tops!

I double that driving it to monza last year in a week :lol:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Milno
Back