Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Engine mounts - 996 options...

Who did you buy the kit from JS? Or did you just get the mounts and make up the bolts?

Few options from type 911 to design 911

Am going to do this as it makes a difference to the gear change, handling and feel of the car.

bought the RS mount and cupped washers from type 911.

Matthew Smith was very helpful.

uk996 said:
bought the RS mount and cupped washers from type 911.

Matthew Smith was very helpful.

Yes, mine were from him too, very good service.

I've bought RS mounts (aftermarket) and just ordered a variety of nuts, bolts and washers on Ebay.

From the pics on other sites I now think the sequence for the long M12 bolt is:
Large thick washer
Porsche engine mount seat washer
Engine mount
Porsche engine mount seat washer
Large thick washer
Engine x Member
Washer (thick?)
Lock Nut

Am I correct?

I'm not sure about the last washer (I didn't use one, but I doubt it could hurt....) but otherwise that sounds good. :thumb:

Thanks, it's not shown on the part manual but it is on the photos of the part in situ, I've got serrated flange nuts so a washer will stop any damage to the engine support bracket.

I've also bought slightly smaller dia (30mm) thick washers, do you think these will be wide enough?

Phil 997 said:
I used rennline semi solid adjustable mounts on my 997.1 on the softest bushing they were livable with as a daily but there was a little NVH . I am just trialing FF semi semi solids on my gen2 these are new OE mounts filled with eurathane, my initial thoughts are similar NVH to semi solids but they may settle and bed in even the semi solids bed in a little over a few miles etc. if not I am thinking about the 993RS mounts as an option as I hear they have little or no NVH but need to see that for myself. :thumb: at the end of the day dont dismiss just new OE mounts as they will be so much better than 15/16 yr old mounts. :grin:

Hi Phil
Where did you get the FF semi semi from, did you have to import?

bakerboy4s said:
Phil 997 said:
I used rennline semi solid adjustable mounts on my 997.1 on the softest bushing they were livable with as a daily but there was a little NVH . I am just trialing FF semi semi solids on my gen2 these are new OE mounts filled with eurathane, my initial thoughts are similar NVH to semi solids but they may settle and bed in even the semi solids bed in a little over a few miles etc. if not I am thinking about the 993RS mounts as an option as I hear they have little or no NVH but need to see that for myself. :thumb: at the end of the day dont dismiss just new OE mounts as they will be so much better than 15/16 yr old mounts. :grin:

Hi Phil
Where did you get the FF semi semi from, did you have to import?

I did import them, but due to me having a different engine issue that the techs were strugling to diagnose they asked me to put the car back to a place prior a group of mods I did together which included the engine mounts . So for the next few thousand miles I have removed them even though they were not related to the issue I was having with the engine .I only did about 5 /10 miles with then on lol . So if your interested in a set I am happy to let these go as I wont be using them for a while and would rather someone use them than sit in my garage . they cost me just over £300 with shipping and import duty, happy to let them go for £200 plus £20 post if you will use them and post a review on here about them as that was my intention but just didnt do enough miles to properly evaluate them. Let me know if your interested :thumb: :thumb:

http://www.function-first.com/products/engine-trans/engine-mount-upgrade

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-for...grade-from-function-first-for-your-996-a.html

EGTE said:
How big are the ones recommended?

Someone talked about 45mm from ebay and I've also seen 35mm mentioned. I suspect that they're fine as long as they cover a fair amount of the Porsche washers to support them if/when they flex.

I've replaced my mounts with RS mounts now and I've found the following:

I bought 30mm dia thick washers but they looked a bit small to support the large diameter of the curved washer that supports the rubber mount so I eventually went with 45mm. On fitting, I found the square hole in the engine mount is quite large so the larger washer is recommended for the 996.

The main bolts really do need to be 120mm long, perhaps the earlier 3.4 cars had shorter bolts? I bought the wrong bolts, 1.75 thread pitch rather than 1.5mm and 8.8 rather than 10.9 grade, I've ordered the correct bolts.

The nuts on the 12mm studs were very tight, after liberally dousing with releasing fluid, it still needed my 60cm bar on the socket and both nuts broke free with quite a crack. I thought the bolts had sheared but they were both ok. However the Porsche nuts are long and flanged so I reused them.
The standard Porsche mounts have a square locating point that fits the engine cross member, I did think about making up a square section to fill the space with a 12mm hole in it - another time perhaps?

The M8 bolts screw into captive nuts on the chassis, no nuts or washers are required. The Porsche bolts are flanged and I reused them as well.

My engine mounts seemed in quite good condition at 95k miles, after 15 years the main studs are no longer square in the mount but everything looked pretty solid.

All in all, it's a very straightforward job if you have the right bolts, when they arrive I'll find out whether there are any noticeable differences in the car.

The new bolts arrived today, 120mm really is only just long enough for a facelift car.

Been for a short drive and the gearshift seems much better, either the new mounts or the lubrication on the linkage!

The car definitely seems tauter but that is also affected by the new Michelin PS2s on the rear, I'm sure it rattles less at the rear and it doesn't seem any worse for NVH although I haven't been on the motorway yet.

I just replaced my mounts with standard. Easy DIY with an impact gun and a long 18mm socket. Took 1 hour all in.

I fitted titanium nuts.

I've just fitted rennline mounts with the yellow inserts, definitely more vibration at idle but nothing drastic at all. My old mounts came away in 2 bits so they were done. Tailpipes have moved up a fair way so much so I've had to adjust them. Gear change is a lot better also but I did spray the linkage at the box at the same time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back