Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Driver side door sometimes wont open.

further note, the windows can be opened / closed by putting the key in, turning it right/left and pulling the door handle.

The inside switch trick doesn't seem to do anything. when I pull the handle twice, it sounds like the door unlocks but i still cannot open the drivers' door from inside or outside.

Does anyone have more info on the lock out of sync issue and how to fix it ?

OK .. can i confirm .. the door is shut , you cant open it and the door card is fitted meaning you have no access ?

If so its going to be a bit of a headache .. your going to have to get the door card off with the door closed and access is going to be difficult even then .

Again just to confirm .. the door locked and opened but only the outside handle didnt open the car at the beginning ?

Ill assume thats so ..

Ok i have to be blunt but no offense meant , im just trying to think what could have happened ..

Its something you have done if the above is correct so we have to think of what ..

Could the door lock wiring plug be loose .. not clipped home ..

Could the inner door handle cable be caught ..

What i think though .. if you only changed the serated rod that locks into the plastic sleeve then its too tight .

I would start with removing that rod and then seeing if the door can be locked / unlocked and opened .

Red and yellow arrows in the picture for the rod i think is too tight and to confirm we are talking about the same thing .

Green arrow is the door lock rod ( key barrel ) but that should be ok as you didnt remove the door lock or did you ?

It drops the windows and thats a function of that rod working .

Word of warning .. never .. ever try and remove the door lock assembly with the wiring plug still connected ..

You WILL activate the window drop as the barrel rod will turn .. you WILL get hurt if your hands are in there .. thats for anyone reading this and not at the OP .

Attachments

• door_lock_936.jpg
    door_lock_936.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 8,395
The door is shut but I managed to get the doorcard off. I have access.

Confirmed - before i changed the serrated rod, the door opened OK from the inside.

I will try to disconnecting it and see what's what.
The part you marked with green I can't recall, and yes I removed the lock completely to diagnose the serrated rod an found it snapped.

I will check the plugs and wiring next time I try to fix this.

and oh yes... I have encountered how strong the window motor is.. I have a massive bruise on my hand. At the moment I disconnect the battery any time I try to do something in side the door. Lesson learned.

Mate you were dam lucky there .. there is no safety roll back on the down stroke of the window .

I learn the hard way many years ago .. the wiring plug may be difficult to get at but you disconnect it first or this happens .

i guess all of us learn the same way . i did but i got my hand out first and always try to point this out to people .

Door card off is excellent , good work there .

Im thinking the rod is too tight so disconnect that first .

i cant really see anything happening with the lock it self .. it would be obvious .. bits of metal falling off etc .

If you can and the rod doesnt help then take a picture or 2 .. ill see if i can figure anything out from them.

The green part is what joins the key barrel to the lock .. it looks like a spade which connects to the lock ass .

the windows drop so it would seem its connected fine .. worth a look with a small mirror though .. it might be jammed .. easy to do when refitting the lock ass.

I know .. ive done it .. and more than once im ashamed to say !

Mate, I owe you a beer. This was the problem - the shaft was too far inside the plastic housing. I've adjusted it to catch and voila, door opens.
Cannot thank you enough... :bye: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geoffrey Fickle
Back