Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 GT3 10 Year engine warranty

its not really the end of the world, is it ?

All handled seamlessly by the OPC, and I get a new Cayman S to rag around for a week or so.

Car will be in for an interim service next month !

david_yorkshire said:
its not really the end of the world, is it ?

All handled seamlessly by the OPC, and I get a new Cayman S to rag around for a week or so.

Car will be in for an interim service next month !

did they advise what engine update you have been fitted with ?

keep us posted on this engine journey :thumbs:

The problem is a lubrication failure, without doubt. When cams are designed, the designer has to calculate Hz stresses between the lobe and follower, which essentially calculate the lubricant thickness vs load/area.

IMHO. the fact that the tappet clearance is by hydraulic not mechanical means, it follows that the cam/follower contact patch never gets a rest, i.e., there is always contact which prevents lubrication. So... that may be a contributory reason for Porsche going mechanical on the later 991.2 engines.

I'm surprised that a specific oil has not been advised for these engines, or at least an additive package.

Just my 2p

Mike

possibly not;
I've found out that the 'G' series engine is NOT the guaranteed solution to the DLC issue; Only G05374 engines and above are 'fixed'
My G series that has just been replaced was G01293; and failed.
I dont know (yet...) what the engine number of the new engine is.

David

Does anyone know if the engine failures / problems also affected the 991.1 GT3 RS models too? (apologies if this has already been asked / answered)

Has this affected a lot of cars? I'm guessing it's not down to higher miles or a heavier right foot, I'm in the market for a gt3 and wondering if this should be putting me off!

seanyboy said:
Has this affected a lot of cars? I'm guessing it's not down to higher miles or a heavier right foot, I'm in the market for a gt3 and wondering if this should be putting me off!

It has affected enough cars to be a genuine concern and quite a few cars have had multiple engines, but should it put you off? For me that would depend on whether you were planning to change it from stock spec or keep it for long enough for it to be beyond the reach of warranty cover. For me personally I wouldn't entertain running one outside of factory warranty.

There is also an edge case to consider - I once met someone who (when the car was only a couple of years old) had experienced issues that had already caused them to have to abandon 3 separate European track day trips. When I met them their plan was to get it fixed and then git rid of it as they had had enough.

BUT

Meanwhile there are still plenty of people who have had them for ages, extensively used for intended purpose and who say that they have never had any issue.

So it is a bit of a dice roll really. But if you view the warranty as a running cost then that it isn't necessarily a bad bet.

Or you could just go 996/997... 8)

david_yorkshire said:
possibly not;
I've found out that the 'G' series engine is NOT the guaranteed solution to the DLC issue; Only G05374 engines and above are 'fixed'
My G series that has just been replaced was G01293; and failed.
I don't know (yet...) what the engine number of the new engine is.
David, did you ever get your new engine number and is it after G05374 :?:

squelch said:
Does anyone know if the engine failures / problems also affected the 991.1 GT3 RS models too? (apologies if this has already been asked / answered)
You have to remember that, counterintuitively, the 991.1 Gt3 revs higher than the RS; 9,00rpm, vs. 8,800.

There are other differences to the engines too. I am not saying the higher rev limit is the cause of the issue, although of course higher valve train speeds will not be helpful where another problem already exists.

More about the RS engine here: http://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/gt3-rs/page/0/2

I don't buy the lubrication explanation. To me, that would affect more cars (all of them surely?) if it were the principal cause. I'd guess a mechanical/metalurgical deficiency or variance in components is the cause.

DRZ911 said:
david_yorkshire said:
DRZ911 said:
David, really sorry to hear about the engine in your car.

I'm not very good at counting, so please bear with me. Including the original factory fit engine, will this new engine be the 3rd or 4th that the car has had ? Any details of the spec on each engine?

4th engine
last one was a G series
Thanks. So the G-series engine seems to be flawed as well.
If so, then another iteration is likely.
Wonder if the new 4 litre engine of the Gen 2 addresses all known 3.8 litre issues :?:

Have been thinking about buying a 991.1 GT3 and have done a bit of research on the engine issues and versions, mainly on Rennlist. The latest version appears to be G1 and G6 (not sure of the differences) but both include Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating on both the finger followers AND the camshaft lobes. I've not read of any failures of either of these versions but stand to be corrected. I believe these engines now have the same top as the RS 4 litre engine which have been pretty robust although the latter is redlined at a little less that the 9000 rpm of the GT3.
I would be interested to know of any known failures of these engines for valve train issues. Anyone?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back