Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991.1 GT3 10 Year engine warranty

Bigfra said:
I recently bought my 991 GT3 at 8000 miles and it is still over list.

In all fairness I think a 10 year warranty is a great selling point when I get rid of the car in two years for a 720s

Fair play..the market is what the market is. Great low volume cars will always be in demand and command a premium. None of us really know where the market will go so I hope it puts a smile on your face everyday :thumb:

I think the solution to this problem is to swap my appreciating asset with one of your depreciating assets and remove any stress you may feeling with GT3 ownership :D I prefer red but happy to discuss other colours

All hail Hanz.

Buy Mezgar people 8)

Fault report:
One of the camshaft followers on bank 2 (right) has a flat spot with a corresponding wear mark on the bank 2 camshaft

Solution:
Fit new engine

david_yorkshire said:
Fault report:
One of the camshaft followers on bank 2 (right) has a flat spot with a corresponding wear mark on the bank 2 camshaft

Solution:
Fit new engine

Whats the replacement engine count now ? :frustrated:

jotaking said:
FredGT3 said:
Meanwhile some of us are quite happy extending our E engines to 9000 rpm with no issues. Not all engines have failed and if you read about the problem in detail rather than listen to internet forums its quite understandable.

I agree I am no expert, however, I do understand the problem. My issue is that there is no definitive solution?
You mean the solution for specifying metal parts without flaws?

Very simple, lots of people manage this sort of thing every day. First rule being, do not buy on price alone.

As a mechanical engineer by trade and profession, I find the 'explanation' unsatisfactory.

Metallurgically, they would have fixed the inclusion problem, from probably a duff batch, quite quickly, or they were totally incompetent for several engine revisions...

Therefore the only conclusion that you can reach for this continued problem, is that there has to be a basic design issue, which they can't work round, in order to get a permanent fix.

So unfortunately you have to reach the conclusion that this engine is fatally flawed and not fit for purpose... imo, ymmv, etc, etc.

s2000db said:
Metallurgically, they would have fixed the inclusion problem, from probably a duff batch, quite quickly, or they were totally incompetent for several engine revisions...

Therefore the only conclusion that you can reach for this continued problem, is that there has to be a basic design issue, which they can't work round, in order to get a permanent fix.

So unfortunately you have to reach the conclusion that this engine is fatally flawed and not fit for purpose... imo, ymmv, etc, etc.
100% agree. Or they are buying from/are tied to, contractually or otherwise, a source which cannot acquire the correct, basic material grade.

I have seen other examples of this myself. People (especially accountants) assume all European grades of engineering steel are available worldwide when, in fact, they are not.

Diggermeister said:
s2000db said:

100% agree. Or they are buying from/are tied to, contractually or otherwise, a source which cannot acquire the correct, basic material grade.

I have seen other examples of this myself. People (especially accountants) assume all European grades of engineering steel are available worldwide when, in fact, they are not.

I have some sexy European S355G10+M plate if you fancy it mate :grin:

david_yorkshire said:
Fault report:
From past experience on a similar problem, this is probably not an inherent material failure but rather a design issue related to insufficient lubrication between the surfaces.

Bigfra said:
I have some sexy European S355G10+M plate if you fancy it mate :grin:
In the mid 90's, we began using a sub-contractor in South Korea who was making parts for Daewoo (now Doosan) excavators. The component was a design we'd made in the UK (in EN19) and sold successfully for several years. We had component failures, due to brittleness after induction hardening, so we sent the parts for analysis at a lab in the Black Country. The failure was due to inclusions, irregularities.neffectively lower quality steel.

However, they also reckoned the alloy differences were making the components more brittle. Very minor changes in elements like silicon and manganese make significant differences.

Another Korean manufacturer, Samsung (now Volvo) began to have component failures from a part sourced from the same factory. By this time, not only had we predicted this, but we had also pre-empitvely made a batch of parts, in the UK, from European steel, which sold out.

We are still seeing reports similar failures on (presumably now Chinese or Indian) components. All of our manufacturing is not only UK now, but also in house. We have zero reported failures...

just to conclude the thread;
new engine fitted by OPC Cambs; pretty quick too - they must be getting faster :D

Lets see how long this one lasts.

Interestingly, the last two both failed just before the service was due; over long intervals ? who knows..

Right - whens the next trackday ?!
:floor:

david_yorkshire said:
just to conclude the thread;
new engine fitted by OPC Cambs; pretty quick too - they must be getting faster :D

Lets see how long this one lasts.

Interestingly, the last two both failed just before the service was due; over long intervals ? who knows..

Right - whens the next trackday ?!
:floor:

:thumb:

I like your positive approach David best of luck and enjoy :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back