Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

To C2 or not to C2?

Thefinn

I have been watching many of the 996 threads lately about the 996 C2 and what a great car / possible investment it could be and it's got me thinking as I happen to like the look and size of the older cars.

I also love the retro look that many of you are going for with the Fuchs and ducktail which but I don't want to do this to my 997 because personally I think this look is suited better to old models due to their size and it's a cab which I think doesn't work as well. Also being an Essex boy brought up near Southend sea front in the cruising days I have always really wanted to mod the look of a car but my sensible side always gets the better of me so I don't but the itch is there! My dream would be a modded 964 but the amount of cash and the threat of the illimanti put this out of my reach.

So I am really thinking about getting a 996 C2 To retro but I already have the 997 which Mrs Finn points out spends quite a large amount of time in the garage so she is not on side, it will also have to take the last space on the drive and live outside. I also always think I have more time than I do for jobs, with a house that is not quite finished, a new baby just arrived and a 997 to play with am i taking on too much?

I also don't mind spending a bit to have the modded car I want but don't want to waste all of the cash I put into it. So let me know your thoughts shall I go for it? If I do I would not want to go more than 15k for the car but would prefer about 12k so expect high miles but is this also opening me up for big bills?

I personally can't see the ducktail retro look working because the headlights aren't round.

If you want the retro look, Have you seen chesil cars? (Google chesil speedster)
:thumb:

Looks good from that angle :thumb:

Parked mine up in town today to do the banking and my jaw dropped when I walked back to it! :cloud9:

Have just googled the front, errrrm. (Apologies I stand by my previous comment).

In my humble opinion only.

Thefinn said:
I also always think I have more time than I do for jobs, with a house that is not quite finished, a new baby just arrived and a 997 to play with am i taking on too much?

Don't bother, live your life - enjoy your 997 and your baby. Your wife will start to resent the time you spend on your pointless car and she would have a point.

Don't think a 996 is an investment, it might break even at very best.

wasz said:
Thefinn said:
I also always think I have more time than I do for jobs, with a house that is not quite finished, a new baby just arrived and a 997 to play with am i taking on too much?

Don't bother, live your life - enjoy your 997 and your baby. Your wife will start to resent the time you spend on your pointless car and she would have a point.

Don't think a 996 is an investment, it might break even at very best.

Have to agree.....I have two small kids and a half-finished house. I always take on too much and often end up stressed about things that are supposed to be fun.....

I definitely wouldnt buy a 996 as an investment.....I have just bought mine, I dont expect to make money, but hopefully wont lose loads either.

Finn, mate I guess you know my thoughts :grin: but heres a slightly sensible compromise :?: well hopefully anyway :grin:

You can really only drive one 911 at a time and you have a cab. and the wife doesnt want you spending 12/15k on a car and another 5/7 k modding it.

as your now a family man with financial commitments I am suggesting you look at what you can do with your 997 re totally reversable mods . eg my car as you know is very modded BUT every single original part is in the garage , I don't modify any original parts, I buy used of ebay or new etc . it would cost me £500 in labour to put my car back to original stock.
So what can you do to your cab for a fraction of the money your original post was going to cost you say 8k which when put back to stock you can sell for at least 50% of the money back so e.g. £4k lots of boy essex fun for 4k .

if it was my cab I would be buying the aftermarket speedster humps , some fuch alloys more aggressive front bumper or lip and a small wing or maybe a flying ducktail as they are smaller

tell me that isnt retro sex at its best mate you could even get it wrapped in blue (blue is the new black)lol the top pic is actually a kit

https://nrauto.com/product/porsche-997-speedster-hump-2-piece-for-997-cabriolet/

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/997FLSPE.html

http://florencecarbondesign.com/kitDett.asp?ID=46&idlink=25

http://www.9magazine.com/french-tuner-delavilla-easily-converts-your-cab-to-speedster/

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997-vendor-classifieds/329166-997-speedster-humps-sale.html

:grin: food for thought mate and 12/14k still in the bank and a happy wife. :grin: :thumb:

Attachments

• lead2_2011_porsche_speedster_fd_260.jpg
    lead2_2011_porsche_speedster_fd_260.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3,494
  • poster_151.jpg
    poster_151.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,494
  • image_36_213.jpg
    image_36_213.jpg
    736.3 KB · Views: 3,494
in silver gen1

Attachments

• silver964speedsterbased_359.jpg
    silver964speedsterbased_359.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 3,473
Cheers for the suggestion Phil but I have never been a fan of the speedster it just doesnt do it for me, if i had a coupe i would go down the sports classic look with a grey wrap and maybe some side decals. I do still have all the mods planned for the 997 to fall back on when the warranty is up but the plan for this one was to leave the body stock other than lowering it just because it's such a nice car so I don't want to mess with it too much even if I can put it back. That's why I have been thinking of getting another car that's a bit older and not such a shame if mess with it.

As has been said, don't do it!!

Focus on having your 997 tip top with maybe some tweaks.
The last thing you need is two projects, with all the costs that go with it and a jam packed driveway full of cars that rarely move.

Get your house done and enjoy a normal life again. I've been on with my house for 4 and a half years now. Landscapers are in next month for back garden then we are done. Normal life can resume. Yippee!
A lot has happened in those 4 years so I'm looking forward to relaxing.

I'm doing slightly more than I'd like on my car at the moment. I enjoy it but as you say, it can quickly go beyond enjoyment and that's no good.

Live your life and enjoy your 997. Or go properly retro with an aircooled. Just don't buy a wrong'un.
All the best with your home and family. They come first.
:thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back