Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 3.6 Carrera Exhaust Options

Derek147

I have the baby Carrera in the 997.2 range I wondered what options I have on exhaust note for around £500?

I don't want to pay ££££ for PSE cos I've heard it's not much improvement anyway on the Gen 2, similar with gundo hack.

Sharkwerks crossover pipes has been mentioned on another forum but I just wondered if anyone has any ideas or have done this mod to let me here the difference from stock to whatever you upgraded to. Not much on youtube for the 997.2 3.6

Derek147 said:
I have the baby Carrera in the 997.2 range I wondered what options I have on exhaust note for around £500?

I don't want to pay ££££ for PSE cos I've heard it's not much improvement anyway on the Gen 2, similar with gundo hack.

Sharkwerks crossover pipes has been mentioned on another forum but I just wondered if anyone has any ideas or have done this mod to let me here the difference from stock to whatever you upgraded to. Not much on youtube for the 997.2 3.6
The cross over pipe won't release that much noise. Your cheapest bet will be the gundo back. Otherwise you'll need to get lucky and pick up a second hand exhaust system from eBay(it's like looking for unicorn dung.I know, I spent months trawling eBay for one)
The other option is TopGear exhaust which there is much love for on here, but I believe they're up about the £1k mark.
Just be aware when you put the new exhaust that fuel economy goes down quite alot, and not good for the wallet :hand:

http://s201.photobucket.com/user/Tokyo_Dub/media/1ACE7622-4027-4E29-8CC1-0DC423B3D6A5.mp4.html

See if the above link works for you. I'm happy to email if you send me a pm.

I have lived with centre bypass alone for 12 months and decided to gundo as well. Noticeable difference above 3k revs. With hindsight I would gundo first. The interior noise is drowned out by tyre noise in 3rd gear or higher.

I got H&S bypass for £300 +£150 fitting.

Haven't got gundo booked yet. I have heard a Gen2 non PSE with banana gundo & bypass on a carrera S and it was perfect to my ears.

If you are near me I'm more than happy to show you.

James.

The Top Gear system is £750 with the current group buy, but that doesn't include fitting. I have never heard one but fear it might be too loud for my taste.

Rear muffler delete either from topgear or H&S both under £350 and a gundo hack :thumb:

:agree:

Paul (PCW) does gundo for £250, I'm sure he'd fit a bypass for not much extra.

Thanks for responses guys I appreciate it, I love the car but I would really like to emulate more of that classic porsche sound. Don't want something too lary, very subjective I know but I would err more on the side of asbo sound than not just to have something sports car like.

I have heard the PSE on 997.2 is little too subtle and needs the gundo done also.

Derek , the gundo is effectivly the same as PSE ,from what your saying you want a gundo and a rear/ 3rd silencer bypass kit the two together would be about £600. if you want more than that you can get it but not all for £500 , try these first and if you still want more then the next thing is 200cell cats the cats and headers are a single piece on the gen2 this will add BHP as well as more sound and its the natural second step for guys not doing it all at once. :thumb:

Derek147 said:
I have heard the PSE on 997.2 is little too subtle and needs the gundo done also.

You have misremembered. The Gen2 PSE needs the centre bypass, not Gundo.

exhausts

I have a 997.2 and like you thought the exhaust note a little muted.

I bought a spare pair of mufflers/silencers and had a welding shop adapt them. They used full sized pipework taking it from the spare third nipple and into the outlet. Same as Porsche sports exhaust or as near as.
I paid £350 for the silencers and £200 for the pipework. Fitted them myself pretty straightforward and didn't need to take off rear bumper. Only my opinion sounds nicer without being offensive and not overly loud from the cockpit.

Regards
GW

Re: exhausts

glenwells said:
I have a 997.2 and like you thought the exhaust note a little muted.

I bought a spare pair of mufflers/silencers and had a welding shop adapt them. They used full sized pipework taking it from the spare third nipple and into the outlet. Same as Porsche sports exhaust or as near as.
I paid £350 for the silencers and £200 for the pipework. Fitted them myself pretty straightforward and didn't need to take off rear bumper. Only my opinion sounds nicer without being offensive and not overly loud from the cockpit.

Regards
GW

Glen , funny I was talking to someone the other day that has done that same thing and fitted a valved unit to them giving them effectivly PSE its a slightly different mod to the gundo :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back