Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Short shift kit

Thank you kind sir! :worship:

alex yates said:
Thank you kind sir! :worship:

Did you put metal parts in?

The biggest issue with the cheap SSKs are the rubbish roller bearing they use for the central shaft that the gear lever pivots in it's longitudinal direction. This bearing creates play in both longitudinal and lateral movement and IMHO this is where the issue is with the kits. The plastic (most likely PTFE or Acetal) top and bottom bushes are fine if you ask me (well they are new and are still fine on mine 2 years later). Osh's roller bearing was mullered and seized up and this was the problem with his. On mine I replaced the inferior roller bearing with some Acetal solid bearing bushes I made myself. I did a write-up on it here somewhere (search for ssk slop removal). I was going to do the same on OSH's but instead I managed to get some solid phosphor Bronze self-lubricating bearing bushes (even better than mine) and modified them slightly to suit the SSK. There's now zero play in this area and the bearings should outlast the SSK, Gearbox, Engine & most of the rest of the car too.

Robertb said:
Phil 997 said:

I'm going to go with one of these. I actually like the 996 shift, but don't like the slop and vagueness which comes from the plastic bushings and parts.

What about something like this?

https://youtu.be/iJv0wI72aRg

I actually don't mind the shift throw in the 996 either. Have driven a 997 as well (which I agree is 'better"). However I've bought a replacement 996 shift mechanism and intend on doing this mod to eliminate all play. Cheaper than the function first one!

Yes Finn your the forum gunia pig as I want to know about these as well :thumb:

Alex's phosphor bronze is a much better material for this than alumin(i)um. Anyone fancy making up some sets to upgrade standard 997 to better than GT3 spec?

I can do it if I get chance.

This was the solid self-lubricating bearing I modified to on Osh's SSK to replace the cheapo roller bearing and plastic side spacers:

It comes in 2 top hat style solid bushes. The flange machined on each one so the width when fitted is a perfect fit in the aperture with no play and the centre diameter to suit the original shaft through the middle. Self lubricating phosphor bronze.

FerZKrG.jpg

kbDOcdP.jpg

lmvEoUB.jpg

alex yates said:
I can do it if I get chance.

:stay: :popcorn: :clap:

Alex if you can make up a kit the same as phenix engineering at a similar price then I am up for giving it a go :thumb:
When I say kit thats because I have no idea whats involved but saw a couple of clips on the phenix one :?:

Here's a review of the phenix kit hopefully you engineering types will know what he means and explain in English lol .

I purchased these Billet shift bushings as an alternative to a full upgrade or short throw since I like the OEM throw. The removal of the OEM plastic bushings was a little time consuming, but it was obvious that there was some slop in the shifter even with only 37K (1999) on the car. The bushings went in without a problem, however I don't think Phenix accounted for the movement of the new bushings in the shifter frame. I removed the bushing and applied a small amount of MasterSeal NP 1 under the lip of the bushing (NP1 is a one-component, elastomeric, gun-grade polyurethane tremendous for sticking to anything; metal to plastic, brick to steel ...the best stuff in the world). Once allowed to dry (1 week) the bushings are locked securely and the shifter is better than new with little or no play. Make sure you reinstall with Porsche alignment tool.

Attachments

• img_0398_e1451953030828_158.jpg
    img_0398_e1451953030828_158.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 3,272
Thanks all for the help.
I've purchased a standard 997 shifter.

alex yates said:
This was the solid self-lubricating bearing I modified to on Osh's SSK to replace the cheapo roller bearing and plastic side spacers:

It comes in 2 top hat style solid bushes. The flange machined on each one so the width when fitted is a perfect fit in the aperture with no play and the centre diameter to suit the original shaft through the middle. Self lubricating phosphor bronze.

FerZKrG.jpg

They look really nice. If you are able to make some more, id happily buy a set off you.

Alex ,I can feel a homer job for the boys coming on mate :thumb: :thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max V
Back