Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What did you buy your 993 this week ?

cableguy said:
Jackal to the rescue... Great write-up and pics for fitting RS Side Skirts: http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/993/M002_aero.htm#sideskirts :thumb:

C.

Thanks - I took a look at that and it is a really good guide. Not sure about the sticky tape though..... I'm sure I've seen my indy release the sill cover and pull out when doing the oil change. Might be a faff if stuck on :?:

ch3tman said:
Exciting times - your car will look great with these fitted :) - look forward to seeing photos once installed! :thumb:

Additionally, I was aware of PCGB discount but what is the 'Classic discount' you refer to? Do you have to be on the Classic Servicing/Porsche Classic Register scheme to qualify?

I'm not really sure myself.......
I did a lot of searching, and the cheapest I could find was from Gert at Carnewal:
"Hi Andy,
This is the total :
P93045 RS side skirt package : 995 euro
Shipping : 25 euro
Total: 1020 +21% = 1234,20 euro"

= £1090

I figured that if this was an original part, surely and OPC could do them and I wouldn't have to bother with the shipping cost, so I contacted my OPC.....

"Hi Andy,
Yes there are a few sets left of these from Porsche GB so we can get them in in 2 days.
For a pair, retail these are £1,029.36 inc VAT
I can honour a classic discount and do these to you at £952.15 inc VAT"

Seemed a no-brainer so I ordered them and asked for the PCGB discount afterwards which was 7.5%

Still not sure what this classic discount is though.....?

When Fitting the RS side skirts wait for warmer weather, the tangs are very fragile and will snap off in the cold. I used Jackals method without drilling the wings except for the one self tapper at the top rear. Check your a/c pipes and mountings while your in there, the pipes corrode around the rubber mountings so a bit of rubber or dielectric grease will help. Give the sills a good coating of Silicone protector, they do deteriorate over time with exposure to sunlight.

Endoman said:
When Fitting the RS side skirts wait for warmer weather, the tangs are very fragile and will snap off in the cold. I used Jackals method without drilling the wings except for the one self tapper at the top rear. Check your a/c pipes and mountings while your in there, the pipes corrode around the rubber mountings so a bit of rubber or dielectric grease will help. Give the sills a good coating of Silicone protector, they do deteriorate over time with exposure to sunlight.

Good plan.
I went out to the garage this morning, but didn't even take my hands out of my pockets - it's 'kin freezing!

Did you still use the sticky tape too?

Yes I used the 3m double sided tape but a smaller amount and you need the surface treatment. The bond strength is amazing and it's one shot to get it right. 9m had to take one off when my a/c pipe blew again and they used a sealant of some kind as the tangs had snapped.
:thumbs: to Adam at Bolton for the good deal.

AndyS said:
Still not sure what this classic discount is though.....?
...:lol: likewise :D thanks nevertheless for the additional information!

993.505.523.01 ramp trauma. Bloody expensive and hidden.

Attachments

• center_spoiler_121.jpg
    center_spoiler_121.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 4,492
It's not really bought, but I continued Andy's tradition and just had the car Serviced at Jaz. In addition to the service I had the following replaced:

- top and bottom rocker covers and seals
- cam feed elbow seals
- leaky gearbox seal
- new centre dash vent
- engine tray

Luckily I was sitting down when I got the bill :sad:

However, one thing I have bought and will try to fit myself is a Becker Grand Prix (Amber) to replace the original Sony Head unit. A separate post to follow asking for help :)

Mike

Loose ends....

So I can't work out where I run the cable from the gps sensor which I'll be placing behind the centre vent back to the head unit...... that said I'm so short of patience that I started job no 2 instead...

Probably sound better than the stupid Becker.....

Attachments

• 97383ffd_217d_4441_aefb_b497601082d4_458.jpeg
    97383ffd_217d_4441_aefb_b497601082d4_458.jpeg
    254.9 KB · Views: 4,311
The best place for the GPS sensor/aerial is center of the rear parcel shelf . The dash has metal in it which screens reception, pain to fit at the back though. I tend to rely on the Iphone more for sat nav or Garmin stuck to the screen when abroad.
Are those the Fabspeed X-pipes? I love mine but went decat maybe a bit too loud for some.

bit the bullet and gone for the RS Short Shifter kit and Golden Rod too. considering the MPS Slave cylinder but will wait and see as I quite like the clurch feel as is.

Endoman, it's a fabspeed yes. I've got the Dansk cans which are pretty loud so wanted the cats to keep the noise down. Regards the sensor, I'll check cable length and maybe go that way. Cheers!

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pazz
Back