Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are 993''s dead now

highway said:
What became of the prolific poster formerly referred to as GT4?

Rumour has it he is somewhere up the Amazon looking for George Eaton :dont know:

highway said:
What became of the prolific poster formerly referred to as GT4?

Two words....

George Eaton :grin:

I think there was more to it than that ie the fact that certain individuals on here made a point of constantly arguing with him, which when you have such a dry sense of humor as GT4 rather takes the fun out of it :roll: At the end of the day he gave much more to the forum than he was getting from it and you start to question 'why bother" :dont know:

Plus he bought a 997, which as we all know are not as much fun :grin:

+1 Jon.

Nb I edited my post after Alex agreed with me ......... What an opportunity missed re 996 comments :?:

I had put the :weed: :weed: on the air cooled sections down to :fisherman: :grin: . Personally I think its a few reasons .
1/ 993s normally hibernate overwinter and owners are busy underneath them.
2/ As they have gone up in value so much many are now in the hands of collectors and are not driven as much daily as there is a paranoia about values v enjoying them.
3/ Due to the cost of them now its often an older owner who owns, who may not be so interested in forum banter.
4/ The 996 and 997 became the most popular of the 911 family and type of owner is more likely to be more internet active and active on forums .
5/ some have an aircooled tucked away and have a watercooled for using so are now more active on the 96&97 sections
6/ A few of the prolific posters are just taking a break to let Alex and me catch up :grin: :grin:

Its the same with the 991 section it was very very slow until recently as the early 991s are now starting to pass into the hands of enthusiasts who are more likely to join a forum, many original 991 owners just were not the type to be active on forums far too busy smelling poo under their noses and showing off at the golf club.

If you look at the other main 911 forums they appear even less active across the whole range of 911s than 911uk, I have asked the odd question on them and either never got a reply or waited days or weeks for a reply and then its often just a single reply. This is by far the most active Porsche dedicated forum whether its car related info or banter :thumb:

I have been pondering on this question and thought I would see what you guys think or have experienced .
You own a 993 ,964 and brought it a few years ago at the bottom of the curve , and now find your self sitting on a car worth 3 times what you paid for it do you .

1/ start to see it as an investment and get paranoid about driving it and adding miles which in turn takes some of the pleaseure and reason you originally brought the car away.
2/ say to yourself well I brought it at a great price, my aim was to drive it and enjoy it , I never really expected to make any money from a car so what the hell I am goind to enjoy it and put some miles on it and if I break even its a bonus when I sell.

I am not in that place and wonder what you guys that are decide, as it must be a bit of a mind battle which in turn can affect the pleasure of owning a 911 .
I know a few have locked up the aircooled and brought a watercooled for the 911 driving pleasure bit.
I cant get my head around the idea of having 60k investment in the garage and neither enjoying the cash or the car :nooo: I just dont know what I would do :?: I keep thinking I would sell it buy a 25k water-cooled and bank the cash :grin: but not being in that position I really have not had to test the theory. :thumb:

I'm more in camp '2' Phil

But hold on to your last thought as a 25 bagger 'last of the air-cooled' could be just around the corner :thumb:

I took mine out for a drive today :eek:

It has not moved more than 5m in 18 months :grin:

It started like a dream.

I then trailored :wink: it to a private road to give it shakedown prior to getting it booked in for an MOT and service in April :thumb:

It was like the car has been driven daily over the past 18 month, not a creak, rattle or noise out of place, car up to temp, oil pressure / level perfect on the gauges and not a drop of oil in the garage or puff of smoke in sight.

The engine simply purred .....

Who said these cars don't like storage for long periods :floor:

Anyhow, why have I not driven it for 18 months :?: well its a combination of :

- too many cars to drive
- too busy to get it MOT's and serviced just for the 'odd drive"
- having too much fun in the GTS

So it stayed on SORN since I think Sept 2016 ...... but I'm determined to use it at least a little this year (and get a service stamp in the book :roll: )

All I can say is #993hewnoutofstone

Ps I'll update my 993 journal with some pics when I can work out how to upload to specific IMAGR albums (or whatever its called)

Great to hear they are coming out of slumber. I usually start in March but this year it will be April, the weather has been rubbish.

MC

They are nice things to own. Only those whose cars are well over 100k can claim to truly not be concerned by mileage. All other OC3 owners are, to a lesser or greater extent, very mindful of mileage. If you live somewhere with light traffic you could commute in it, but hardly anyone does I suspect. Most owners have a daily and the OC3 comes out when the stars are in alignment. Keeps it feeling special as well.

When you are using a 911 every day, the novelty, as with all things, wears off.

If you want a quick, intense hit of what a Porsche should be like then a short drive in an aircooled 911 is perfect.

Otherwise there are many other fun ways to get places quickly and still wear that bonnet badge. :thumbs:

The illuminati are considering elevating one forum member to fledgling membership per year. This will get you onto the what's app group and invited to key events. Zingari has the details.

The painful process involved in posting images, is the thing which puts me off posting.

Millomboy said:
The painful process involved in posting images, is the thing which puts me off posting.
Were you going to post a paparazzi pic of the last illuminati supper? :floor:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
911tt1
Back