Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How are your first two gears?

Ishay

I have a manual 997.1 Turbo. It's been away a while and I've been driving some simple hire cars. Since I've got it back I can't get over how 1st and 2nd gears are a bit awkward. 3rd and up are rifle action clean, but 1st and 2nd take a bit of care. Also, when in traffic and pushing down the clutch in first there is a bit of a minor shudder from the drivetrain.

Does this all sound normal or do you think the clutch (which was only changed around 2014) or something else might need a look?

I have a 2009, 997.1 C4S with 59k miles on it and a new clutch within the last year. Both before and after the new clutch I would occasionally have difficulty going into first gear when cold and the car had been in the garage for a week or so. Didn't really notice on second gear. However, I still get the odd time when it just won't go into first gear when stopping at traffic lights, engine fully warm, then for months afterwards no problems.

Maybe just a quirk of a highly engineered car?? :dont know:

Not an uncommon issue, several historical threads on here. Have a search for more info.

The manual shift can be difficult when cold usually compounded by SSK's.

This is a very apt post as I was only discussing this the other day .
these are my thoughts

when cold the first and second gear are notchy with a SSK fitted they are really quite difficult when cold . when warm they go in gear fine.
I had a new clutch a few weeks ago and this made no difference to the gear selection well maybe very slightly but nothing to write home about. I then changed the gearbox oil to a millers nano oil this made a very slight improvement but again no big magical fix. many are saying the redline transmission oil is the best but I cannot answer as I havent tried it.

What I did notice is when fitting new semi semi solid engine mounts there was a noticable improvement in cold gear selection with 1st and 2nd I removed the mounts as I was having another engine issue that needed the car back to a pre that mod point. but I am left thinking that new enginemounts whether stock or semi solid will improve the cold shift in low gears it would make sense after all the engines been hanging from the originals for quite a few years.
I was also told by a member that underfilling the transmission by 20% will cure the problem personally I was nervious about doing this and plan to try underfil by 10% this is a known fix in the merc world it seems .

So my advise try new engine mounts, the tranny mount was in perfect condition so I didnt change that but worth having yours checked and replace if worn , also consider a better transmission oil that is known to help with cold gear selection .

and lastly try underfilling slightly but thats your call and dont come moaning at me if that stuffs your transmission lol. which is exactilly what the person who advised me about it said to me. but very worth considering based on this knowledge is checking your not overfilled slightly as that would increase your problem based on the under fill theory , checking my fill isnt over is on my list to be done next week.

hope some of those suggestions help :thumb: :thumb:

pzero said:
Not an uncommon issue, several historical threads on here. Have a search for more info.

:grin:

I'd start by having a gearbox oil change OP.

It's a common theme right through the range of the 997 I believe.

I have a gen 1 C2S and although a bit of a pig to get into 1st when cold, it's improved slightly since I've fitted a short shifter ( £40 off eBay) and changed the box oil.

Never been impressed with porsche transmissions, my wife's 15 year old 160k golf has a way better manual box than any Porsche I have owned. Maybe new they are ok..?

Apologies about not searching. I was lying in a hospital bed awaiting a knee operation and fired in the question on my phone. Searching wasn't really going to be easy and I figured that by the time I came round a few experts would have answered, as you have.

Anyway the forum would be a little quiet without a bit of repetition, no?

Now I'm stuck in bed for a week I'll research/search to my hearts content.

PS yes definitely worse when cold

Just remembered that it is due a transmission oil change this year too, so will definitely get that done.

Can't drive a manual for 6 weeks though now

I hope the 997 heavy clutch pedal hasn't knackered the knee mate :grin:

Good luck :thumb:

No that would be a skiing mishap!

Here she is, definitely a cold gearbox last week!

Attachments

• 0ed962c1_0b89_4b27_a734_fbaccc18f83c_125.jpeg
    0ed962c1_0b89_4b27_a734_fbaccc18f83c_125.jpeg
    849.7 KB · Views: 3,803
Very nice 8)

When you get fit, give them gears a good workout or I'm available for a swap for a few days :lol:

Ishay said:
Just remembered that it is due a transmission oil change this year too, so will definitely get that done.

Can't drive a manual for 6 weeks though now

If you're local I will gladly take if for a weekly spin......I'll even change your gearbox oil for you FOC! :)

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back