Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

rusty sills

Good job. And good "Public service broadcasting" I feel that this will become a reference FAQ thread in future years..

As others have said, rusty sills are going to be more prevalent as these cars age. And it won't matter if they are a "cheaper" model or a C4S or Turbo. The issues will be:
Have they been driven in all weathers? Lived outside? or had the front and rear jacking point areas jet washed clean regularly. Also, it appears to me that the rust may start to develop on the inside first !!?? Make of that what you will.

Others should take heed and have a good look at theirs now. Then look at some kind of wax treatment to the insides of the sills and chassis areas.

Wasz - My 1998 C2 aero ain't bad in this regard. Just sayin :)

Cheers

Jamesx19 said:
Good job. And good "Public service broadcasting" I feel that this will become a reference FAQ thread in future years..

As others have said, rusty sills are going to be more prevalent as these cars age. And it won't matter if they are a "cheaper" model or a C4S or Turbo. The issues will be:
Have they been driven in all weathers? Lived outside? or had the front and rear jacking point areas jet washed clean regularly. Also, it appears to me that the rust may start to develop on the inside first !!?? Make of that what you will.

Others should take heed and have a good look at theirs now. Then look at some kind of wax treatment to the insides of the sills and chassis areas.

Wasz - My 1998 C2 aero ain't bad in this regard. Just sayin :)

Cheers

Agree completely, I have done just that and caught surface rust nice and early, same cannot be said for my M3 that lives next to it! :

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=77995&start=40 (halfway down pg3)

Interestingly both the rear sills at the back had ever so slight paint blistering, once sanded back it was apparent this was outside in, i presume paint thinning is the cause...

The sills above the jacking points are fine. Structurally everything is good and I was able to cut all the rot out and patch in new steel. It was quite a job and took me about 6 weeks of evenings 3 or 4 days a week and a couple full weekends...

Excellent work to you both, however this type of thread makes me super paranoid! I predict a weekend of fiddling with arch trims and cleaning ahead!

Matt

Great post Chris. I went through similar trauma with my lads 1990 mini (though TBH I was expecting it)

no excuse for anyone not to drag off those rear arch trims and get inspecting their after reading this

matt_SM said:
Excellent work to you both, however this type of thread makes me super paranoid! I predict a weekend of fiddling with arch trims and cleaning ahead!

Matt
Ditto - will probably wit for the weather to improve, but will definitely have to pull the arch trims off.......

Well done Chris - you have probably saved a lot of people a lot of pain in the future......

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HannahMich
Back