Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

MOT and rear seat removal...

Tobyone

Hi folks

Another daft question but....
I have removed the rear seats , seat belts etc from my car.
Will this be a problem for a mot? :?

Oh and whilst I am here can a pair of parts be purchased to replace the OEM parts where the seat belt pulls from at the top?
Hopefully that is clear as anything muddy? :dont know:

The parts you speak of are available for the 996, don't know about the 997. No idea on the MOT but interested to hear the answer.

MC

cheers, yep me to

I'm sure there is something as the GT cars would have them

Regards to the MOT yes car will fail if any seat belts are missing cos as part of the test is to check seat belts are working within standards safety!! As for the seats at the back won't fail cos it's out for a reason and if someone wants to sit at the back uncomfortably then it's down to them :D ....

J

Thank you, that saves a fail and a big faff going back and forth.
Just a small faff and a few hours putting them back in again.
Long as I know than all is fine and dandy.

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. No seats = no seat belt requirement.

I believe there is some sort of MOT tester 'bible' which might have this type of detail covered.

My gut feel is you will be fine. If you left the seats and removed the belts there would be an issue. No seats and belts it is no different to a GT3...

In fact are rear seat belts actually a requirement by law? I'm not sure they are... Irrelevant as you have no rears seats but its got me thinking....

If I was you I would ring the garage doing the MOT and ask them how them before going to the effort of refitting etc.

An old car of mine that was stripped, ie no rear seats, all rear belts were removed. Never once failed an MOT in 6 years. :dont know:

Thanks all.
I gave my OPC a bell and they say that all will be fine if all removed and so nothing can be checked for a purpose. :judge:

If there are no rear seats then you do not need rear seat belts. And if someone thinks that there is a potential issue if the V5C says 4 seats I would dispute it - my first GT3 (which was a 996) had 4 seats listed on the paperwork despite never having had rear seats and it never had an MOT issue in the 5.5 years or so that I had it. Removing seats is almost certainly a notifiable modification for insurers, but other than that all ought to be fine IMHO. :thumb:

Tobyone said:
Thanks all.
I gave my OPC a bell and they say that all will be fine if all removed and so nothing can be checked for a purpose. :judge:

Yup :yeah: :agree:

Guys just to finally clear this up incase anyone is ever interested and is not sure about removing rear seats for what ever reason.

Car passed MOT fine with rear seats and seatbelt removed. :D

I have been lurking a bit on this thread.
Reason being, I viewed a potential purchase in London last year that had its rear seats removed, belts also and nice little infill panels over the resulting spaces left.
I noticed that its previous 3 M.O.T. tests had Advisory notes to the effect that "Rear seats and belts removed" it had passed all of those tests though ( from 2 different stations)
It didn't influence my decision at the time but struck me as slightly odd, why comment if they were not there, was my line of thought. :dont know:

The advisory is just that .. to make you aware of something , its not always to tell you something is worn ... im guessing it was a Porsche garage that did the mot .

It also kinda covers the MOT tester .. " if unsure pass and advise ".

Thats a comment i was told back when i was an MOT tester .

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back