Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

996 3.4 DIY Clutch & Fly etc turns into mini restoration

Demort said:
im well impressed young man ..

Well my day job is "creative technologist" so i'm always lashing together prototypes....

Oh I nearly forgot, shiny brakes:

JrOSL3Y.jpg

I had new discs and textar pads fitted all round, and new wheel bolts.

I did remove the wheels and paint the bells later.

infrasilver said:
Good work with the smoke machine, I need to rig something up similar for the 944 as I suspect a vac leak somewhere.
Marky911 said:
Brilliant work on the smoke machine. :thumb:

Thanks guys, it really made a "needle in a haystack" job much easier, all for 20 mins lashing together.

Some people add UV dye to the baby oil as a tiny trail of smoke may be hard to spot. I didn't have any .... or a UV lamp.

It was reading 8psi on the gauge of the compressor, which I think is way above intake vacuum so should show up any leaks with a decent smoke trail.

I used hot melt glue as I would like to use my soldering iron for soldering in future and it will clean off. I didn't have a problem with the glue melting again, but could use epoxy if I was going to use the smoke machine often.

I used a temperature adjustable soldering iron, but just had it on high all the time.

I don't think my wife has noticed I used half a bottle of baby's baby oil yet.

Tonight after baby bed time I had another look at this.

The new o ring I fitted was a little big so had got folded over in shoving the pipe home.

I pulled it off and fitted the next size down and it holds under the smoke test.

Very hard doing it at full arm extension when you can't get your head close to see whats you are doing, almost doing it all by feel....

I eagerly await a test drive tomorrow to see if it has calmed the idle. Fingers crossed.

Hmmm.

Idle is the same.

Start from cold and car immediately cuts out.

Try again and revs will drop almost to stall and then it picks up and settles over 1000

No throttle added.

After a run idle is still 1000+ and doesn't drop when turning air con off

No codes logged

Tried the smoke machine again, can't see anywhere else

Removed idle control valve, cleaned gunk

Tried it on a 9v battery and 12v, some sparks but no movement in it

Is the idle valve duff?

infrasilver said:
Did you also check the resistance of it and supply voltage?

Nope, what should the resistance be?

I couldn't move the valve manually. I last cleaned it out maybe 4 years ago, im sure it moved on a battery then but can't remember if it was free to manually move it

Surely it should throw a code if duff....?

After a bit of googling I decided the valve should move by hand, and likely the solenoid would be open circuit if failed.

I couldn't wait so went out to the car again.

I found you can open the valve up - it will come apart.

I forgot to take photos sorry!

Basically just remove the little roll pin, and turn 30 degrees and pull apart. I managed to break half the plastic tab around the roll pin....

I freed the valve half off and thoroughly cleaned it so it was completely free.

There is a spring washer and o ring seal between the two halves, it's a bit difficult to get back together as the spring washer keeps sticking to the magnet and moving out of position.

Because I'd broken half the tab, I used a blob of araldite and a zip tie to stop the two halves from rotating.

When I tried it on a battery it snapped back and forth with a loud clack. Great.

Refitted to car and it fired up perfectly and idled just under 1000. Will reserve judgement until a test drive and ive seen hot idle (and flicked Aircon off/on), but it seems much better!

The valve must have stuck from the crud and not being used for 3 months.

infrasilver said:
wasz said:
The valve must have stuck from the crud and not being used for 3 months.

Hopefully that's all it is. :thumb:

I had a similar issue with a crank sensor and a coolant temp sender when mine was laid up for 3 months with the engine out.

Well the idle seems fixed. solid now 950 or so, knock aircon off and it drops to 650. When turning AC back on it wavers a little but settles at 950 :D

-----

However, there is now a bit of a driveline clunk click on/off the power :sad: :sad: :sad:

I double checked the bell housing bolts and inner cv bolts are all tight.

Hopefully its not the flywheel bolts....I did them up to spec, very tight - they are to a torque + required degrees of turning. I did it up with the old bolts first, then applied threadlock and used new bolts. I can't imagine them coming loose.... clutch feels fine.

Hopefully its something to do with the discs / pads / handbrake shoe replacement. I checked wheel bolts they are OK.

There is a little more rotational play in the NSR driveshaft than the OSR. But its perhaps too much of a coincidence to be something unrelated to work I did... how much is "normal" do we think?

wasz said:
However, there is now a bit of a driveline clunk click on/off the power :sad: :sad: :sad:

I've traced this to the alloy cross brace under the gearbox after some misdirection by a local MOT place telling me it was coffin arms.

I grabbed it in the middle and it made a loud creaking noise. Really loud. I couldn't believe it. As it ties the subframe together there must be some load on it under power.

Dropped it, cleaned up the mounting faces with a wire brush of any corrosion or muck and reinstalled.

No more creaky clunk click!!!!

Car is perfect (mechanically), better than it ever has been.

I am very happy :clap: :drive: this is what a 911 should drive like.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped me out in this thread :bow: I owe each of you a pint.

Now to deal with the failed lacquer on the previously resprayed wing....but I might just enjoy it for a while.

I haven't even washed it for 12 months! a whole year! is that a record? My life has been mad with births, deaths and clutch replacements. I think it deserves a polish ASAP.

mLfygt3.jpg

This photo reminds me, my wifes golf needs a new turbo because the wastegate pivot keeps seizing :sad: £550 part at 5 years and 38k miles. :sad: That was supposed to be our "reliable" car. VW want £1600 to do it, sack that.

Oh and I need to build a new porch that I promised to do 4 years ago :sad:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back