Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

993 air con repair

if you are taking the tank out, to me, it would make sense to do the evaporator at the same time. (unless when you see it it looks pristine i guess)
design 911 has the evaporator part at £200. as in this thread i think you need to do the valve at the same time.
J

I replaced almost the full system last year. Evap. condenser, valve, pump amd fans.
Took a week with invaluable help from my mate Jim @ Chill Out, Bretherton.
The pump is the same as a Toyoto (much cheaper) Evap was all aluminium from Keuhl in the States condenser and fans from Eurocarparts. Prices vary wildly especially the fans. Amazing what you find when you take the tank out (a bit like an old sofa)
Can be a very expensive job unless you diy and search for best prices. Lots of bits to remove and easy to forget what goes where, so take pics and notes. There is a pretty good write up on Rennlist or Pelican but some differences on lhd models and beware two hidden screws when the heater box is split.
Not a job for the faint hearted.

Not a job for the faint hearted.[/quote]

I am faint-hearted so I let a leading independent do the full replacement for me - condenser first and then they found the evaporator needed replacing as well. Just so people realise how expensive this is - there's no change from £2,000 including VAT. Labour for the evaporator is particularly costly.

Replacing the evaporator is a difficult job and will be expensive. There's little point in removing the fuel tank and not replacing this as a matter of course, and probably the twin fans too. The condensate drain pipes should also be thoroughly cleared when you have full access as well.

I had a Behr condensor fitted about four years ago which then sprung a leak just 3 years after fitment. I swapped all the components over to NRF as they offer a substantial saving on Porsche-branded parts and they have been fine since, although the proof will be in how long they last beyond the 10 year point of course.

after my new condensor has been fitted all now works.
Quite treat to be able to hit the demist button and watch it work before your eyes!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robinld56
Back