Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Garage floor tiles.

maldren said:
Lots of pristine looking garages.

How well do the tiles stand up in a working garage with metal storage racks, axle stands, trolley jacks and other hard points and heavy loads?

No problem at all regarding jacking. The tiles themselves are about 5mm thick and very dense/incompressible... The only time they've marked is when I turn a wheel over them. But they clean up fine.

wasz said:
I would go with conventional ceramic floor tiles. much more durable.
Apart from: They are lethal when wet. Are freezing cold to walk on as opposed to plastic tiles that are not. Plastic tiles can be lifted if moving house. Plastic tiles can be lifted if damaged and replaced with a new one in 5 mins. Ceramic tiles can crack if jacking up heavy weight and can crack if heavy tools are dropped on them. They do look good, so if you want style over substance then go for them.

easternjets said:
wasz said:
Apart from: They are lethal when wet. Are freezing cold to walk on as opposed to plastic tiles that are not. Plastic tiles can be lifted if moving house. Plastic tiles can be lifted if damaged and replaced with a new one in 5 mins. Ceramic tiles can crack if jacking up heavy weight and can crack if heavy tools are dropped on them. They do look good, so if you want style over substance then go for them.
The comment about tiles being lethal when wet is slightly misleading as it's a case of right tiles for right application. For the garage you need external tiles which have a non slip function to them. For those who use their garage just to store their car and associated bits and pieces, then tiles are fine. If your garage is a workshop then it's worth the step up to resin.
The heat deflection along with water getting under the plastic tiles when you drive in with a wet car would do my head in. But we're a broad church, each to their own.

The plastic tiles have such a tight fit that water just sits on top of the tiles and doesn't permeate through. The heat thing is only when car is very hot and as mentioned reflective material sorted that problem.
As you say it's personal choice but what your spending on fancy resins etc etc is going to cost you what my whole garage refurb cost and that includes new Hormann doors, 2 of them!
It is after all a garage and my main priority was a barrier between the cold dusty concrete and somewhere I could work on my car sitting on the floor. I'm very very happy with what I have and whilst it doesn't look like a Porsche showroom it does everything I want it to do and if I move house to another one with a double garage I can pull them up in an hour and take them with me and if I need more I can order another few boxes from Plasfloor.

easternjets said:
The plastic tiles have such a tight fit that water just sits on top of the tiles and doesn't permeate through. The heat thing is only when car is very hot and as mentioned reflective material sorted that problem.
As you say it's personal choice but what your spending on fancy resins etc etc is going to cost you what my whole garage refurb cost and that includes new Hormann doors, 2 of them!
It is after all a garage and my main priority was a barrier between the cold dusty concrete and somewhere I could work on my car sitting on the floor. I'm very very happy with what I have and whilst it doesn't look like a Porsche showroom it does everything I want it to do and if I move house to another one with a double garage I can pull them up in an hour and take them with me and if I need more I can order another few boxes from Plasfloor.
I priced up a Hormann door my my place. Jesus wept.

"I priced up a Hormann door my my place. Jesus wept."

I found a Trade Supplier and got two at Trade Price, fitted them myself and saved another £1750. Jesus smiled!

easternjets said:
I found a Trade Supplier and got two at Trade Price, fitted them myself and saved another £1750. Jesus smiled!

J H Christ said:
right-on-thanks-bro.jpg

easternjets said:
"I priced up a Hormann door my my place. Jesus wept."

That's a good price for Horman
Unfortunately my door is wider than maximum standard double door width so for my door they wanted something like £5900. Jesus is still weeping!
I ended up finding the company that Hormann use for the manufacturing of the panels and ended up at £2300 with an Italian motor. I'd have to check again but the door is 5.8m x 2.8 from memory. The money saved on the door pays for either tiles or resin, and still have another 1k to pay for the new lawn. Ultimately it's what ever works for you :thumb:

My double garage has 2 doors PIA but I can't change it!

Got the doors for about a grand each and as I say fitted them myself, local installer wanted £4000 inc vat to supply and fit. Took a day per door to do. Hate paying to get someone in to do a job and then sit and watch them thinking 'I could have done that myself'
Wanted Hormann as garage is North facing and I wanted the 40 mm insulation that the doors have.

Had all my samples arrive today and TBH the 7mm Ecotile is by far the best and they have a 10% discount offer on until 26th.

Decided on doing whole garage now black and graphite chequer pattern, so will be ordering on Monday.

FZP said:
easternjets said:
wasz said:
The comment about tiles being lethal when wet is slightly misleading as it's a case of right tiles for right application. For the garage you need external tiles which have a non slip function to them. For those who use their garage just to store their car and associated bits and pieces, then tiles are fine. If your garage is a workshop then it's worth the step up to resin.
The heat deflection along with water getting under the plastic tiles when you drive in with a wet car would do my head in. But we're a broad church, each to their own.

Choose a non slip tile, lay with a solid bed and you wont crack them with a jack or dropping tools.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back